RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Slow r/w speed through ftp/smb

Snake172002

A few months ago I upgraded my microserver with a P410 smart with 512MB cache and its capacitor.

Now I have two RAID setups: one RAID 5 with 3 x 4TB WD RED and other RAID 0 with 2 x 2 TB WD RE4 GP.

I always used the microserver as a torrent downloader so I never had problems with download speeds, but now that I'm trying to use the RAID 5 to store all my data I realized that write and read speeds are limited to 12MiB/s in the best case transferring data over FTP or SMB share.

I'm using ESXI and a VM with Ubuntu Server 16.04 and just don't know what should change or configure... can anyone help me?

PS: I use cat. 5e ethernet cable and the ethernet port syncs at gigabit speeds

do you acutally need to run in a vm there is a huge performance penalty

i run windows as my primary os and then use vmware workstation for my vm needs and take the performance hit on them

but have windows for 99% of my needs with no performance penalty

but it sounds like your nick driver on the vm is the problem

I have also been meaning to ask...

I used to have N54L and could get 100MB/s transferring over LAN between PC and Server, but now with Gen8 I get around 30MB/s. My two NIC are in a team but it was the same without. I remember seeing a thread about it somewhere around here before but I cant seem to find it anymore...

do you acutally need to run in a vm there is a huge performance penalty

i run windows as my primary os and then use vmware workstation for my vm needs and take the performance hit on them

but have windows for 99% of my needs with no performance penalty

but it sounds like your nick driver on the vm is the problem

I have 4 VM running so I thought ESXI was the best solution in order to avoid wasting resources.

Maybe I could use one of the NIC directly in the VM to avoid the penalty of the virtual NIC... is there any wah to passthrough one of the internal NIC?