RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP HBA Controller for Gen8

sunefred

Does anyone know if there is a HP HBA Controller that would integrate with ILO4?. Here is the rundown of what I am looking for:

1. HBA or RAID controller you can set in HBA mode

2. Integrate with ILO4

3. Hotswap support (so you can detach drives without shutting down the computer)

I am looking for HBA controller or HBA mode because I intend to run Linux + BTRFS for my NAS software.

What's mean "integrated with ILO4"?

I have LSI 9207-4i4e rebranded to HP H222 and it works fine. In ILO4 I can see "Storage Information" for all disks connected to this controller. Hot swap is working.

For the network adapters I am able to see MAC addresses and IP numbers. I guess it would be reasonable to see SMART information for each of the connected disks, or at the very least brand, size and connected status. Is hotswap possible directly from iLO?

By the way, what do you mean rebranded?

Edited by sunefred

What's mean "integrated with ILO4"?

I have LSI 9207-4i4e rebranded to HP H222 and it works fine. In ILO4 I can see "Storage Information" for all disks connected to this controller. Hot swap is working.

Is this HBA controller set in IT mode, or can I set it in IT mode. I simply want to use this controller as a SATA controller which I can use for pass through in ESXi. Sorry for bombarding you with questions, but google has not been much help =/

In ILO4 I see: Disk Status, Serial Number, Model, Media Type, Capacity, Location, Firmware Version, Drive Configuration, Encryption Status for each connected disk.

Hot swap settings are available in controller BIOS - just hot swap on/off. Controller is in IT mode and ILO4 recognizes it as HP H222.

I use Vmware ESXI 6 and controller uses Raw Device Mapping for Openmediavault virtual machine. I have connected 7 pcs of disks (2pcs in first RAID1, 2 pcs in second RAID1 and 3pcs in RAID5) to this controller and eighth disk as second datastore to Vmware and nineth SSD disk as basic datastore to B120i. I used pass through for H222 earlier, and it worked properly, but when I needed second datastore I switched pass through to RDM. Also I use following virtual machines: UnifiController on Debian, WinSrv 2012R2, Windows 10, CentOS, 2x Ubuntu server, all on Xeon E3-1265L v2 and 16GB RAM.

Edited by marcusp

Thanks so much. I don't see any reason I can't run this controller in IT + pass through mode and give BTRFS direct access to the disks then. Do you have to flash the controller to get it to go into IT mode or does it come ready to go?

Ccontroller came to me ready to go, in IT mode, but I flashed it to new version of software without any problems. I downloaded software directly from LSI website and after flashing ILO4 recognizes controller as Hp H222.

• 1 year later...

Hi I want buy LSI 9207-4i4e hba how to install FW from HP to To that card, or Ilo will recognize card automatically. And what about fan speed with this hba, I want put micron 5100 ssd on that hba and still use b120 in raid mode with system disk in odd sata port

14 hours ago, Osozu said:

Hi I want buy LSI 9207-4i4e hba how to install FW from HP to To that card, or Ilo will recognize card automatically. And what about fan speed with this hba, I want put micron 5100 ssd on that hba and still use b120 in raid mode with system disk in odd sata port

I do not think iLo will see the HBA even if it is running HP firmware.