RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WS 2012 R2 Hyper-V and VMWare ESX on HP Prolient ML10v2

Amit

Greetings Gents,

I am trying to build a home lab for the purposes of learning the virtualization technologies - WS 2012 R2 Hyper-V / VMware ESX / Citrix XenServer and for this purpose, I have just purchased (with my limited knowledge in server hardware)1 HP Prolient ML10v2 with Xeon E3-1220 v3, 8 Gigs of RAM, Single 1 TB HDD. I am also planning to buy more ML10v2 servers, (if ML10v2 server can fulfil my requirement of implementing these virtualization solutions and can run couple of VMs per host). 

My question to the community is whether has anyone successfully installed/ran these solution off this server? if yes, what are the considerations for installing VMware ESX/Citrix XenServer that one must keep in mind?

If the ML10v2 hardware is not capable of installing/running/hosting these bare metal solutions (VMware/XenServer) than what is the minimum hardware requirement to be considered before purchasing another server. Please consider the fact that this is a home lab and I have limited budget of around 1000-1500 USD (500 already spent) and have to meet the needs first and wants later. 

Consider me a newbie here and if I have missed any information to be provided, please let me know. Any help/advice is much appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Regards

Amit   

Hi Amit!

I don't have that specific server to help with compatibility queries but it shouldn't have any major challenges running ESXi

A couple of builds for you in terms of prioritising your spend.

1) Memory - you need to max out the server if you want to run more than a couple of VM's at once.

2) Hard Drives - put as many drives in as possible and spread your most used VM's across the different disks to reduce disk contention.

Prioritise these over buying more servers - I've got a single Lenovo TS140 with 32GB, a Xeon E1226v3 and a mix of SSD and spinner drives and have up to 15 VM's running at once - VM's include my firewall, domain controller, file server, WSUS server, numerous test servers, snmp monitor and a few test windows 7 & 10 client instances.

If you can upgrade your existing ML10v2 to its peak capacity (perhaps move to 16gb first to see how you get on and spread the cost outlay) you'll see that you can get a lot of VM's on a single host!!

I believe you can still install XenServer within a VM on ESXi if you wanted to (I tried it a few years ago) but I've found ESXi to be the most flexible and pleasing to use.

Have fun!!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hello Amit.  So your question is, will HP ML10 or ML10v2 be suitable for running virtual machines?  yes.  But beware, that Microsoft Server 2012r2 Standard has its "official" limits of host machine and 2 VMs.  so, if you wanted to run 6 VMs, you would need 3 physical machines, and 2 VMs per machine.  If you have Datacenter version (not standard), then you can have unlimited number of VMs on 1 box.

• Like 1

Many thanks for your valuable inputs Matt.

You suggestions regarding the Memory and mix of HDDs was great and this will certainly be of great help in taking maximum out of my individual servers while keeping the VMs performance smooth.

The idea behind building this lab was to increase my skill set by gaining the knowledge of virtualization solutions (ESXi/XenServer/Hyper-V). The reason for considering more than 1 physical host was to evaluate these solutions as much as possible (HA, vMotion etc.).

As you mentioned about TS140, it does seems to be a good entry range server available with almost same price range as HP Prolient ML10v2, but with more number of supported OSs (including Desktop OSs). I plan to begin with Hyper-V, afterwards ESXi and XenServer(in last). So even if Xenserver is not supported with current Hardware , it can be installed within ESXi as a VM (as you suggested above). 

Once again my sincere thanks to you and Happy learning to all.

Regards

Amit

• Like 1

Thanks for you reply, Pete.

I intend to use W2K12 R2 DC edition, where I would be able to create unlimited VMs.

My actual question was about the virtualization, I want to know if someone already installed ESXi or XenServer on this hardware platform and if yes, how did they do it? Were there any issues noticed while installing any of these 2 hyper-visors on the server?

Edited by Amit