RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Purchase Advice (Orbi, Amplifi HD or Google Wifi?)

fossilnews

Hi All,

I have some dead spots in the front of my house as well as my backyard and would like a solution that let's me roam anywhere without losing my connection.  I've looked through the site about the various solutions and I think I have narrowed it down to three: Orbi, Amplifi HD or Google Wifi (no reviews yet so this is the wildcard).  I'm looking for advice about which one(s) you guys think are best for my situation, but below I'll sort of summarize what I've learned.  Please correct me on any errors:

Orbi

• The good:
    • 3rd channel for backend communications (no speed loss)
    • Ethernet ports on both the router and extender
    • 2.4 and 5ghz support on both units
    • Available now
    • MU-MIMO
  • The not so good:
    • Not cheap
    • Only two units (coverage might not be that great?)
    • Large units (I'd like to put one in my cabinet which probably won't work)

Amplifi HD

• The good:
    • Solid pedigree (Ubiquiti seems to make solid stuff)
    • Two extenders for lots of coverage
    • Smaller easier to hide units
    • Not cheap, but two extenders are part of the package
    • Great range
  • The not so good
    • No 3rd channel backend (slower at the extenders)
    • No ethernet ports on the extenders
    • Either 2.4 or 5 ghz on the extenders, but not both
    • Still on backorder
    • SU-MIMO

Google Wifi

• No real data yet, but it's fairly cheap

Finally, this seemed like a pretty good test/review of the systems currently available and Orbi seems to destroy the competition on every level: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33022-mesh-mashup-redux-netgear-s-orbi-checks-in.

So, if you've read this far thank you.  What would you suggest?  Perhaps I should just wait a bit until the Google Wifi reviews begin to hit the web?

Thanks again,

Todd

• 2 weeks later...

Everything I have read is the Orbi is the one to go with.  Even if it's two, it transmits way farther than Eero.  I ordered Orbi tonight in hopes to solve my Wifi issues.  

How big is your house? One level or multi-level? Any obstructions, like a fireplace? For the backyard coverage, what is the exterior of the house, brick, wood, vinyl, steel? 

Everything I have read is the Orbi is the one to go with.  Even if it's two, it transmits way farther than Eero.  I ordered Orbi tonight in hopes to solve my Wifi issues.  

Yes, there seems to be lots of Orbi fans here and elsewhere so I ended up buying it last week and giving it a shot.  My results were less than stellar, but some of these may be particular to my situation.  1) No guest network and in general the software seems very, very basic - at the moment.  Not having a guest network is tough for me because we do film and TV shoots at our house (we're in Los Angeles) and they inevitably want to use our internet connection.  2) Coverage.  It claims 4000 sqft and I bet without walls, etc, it would easily cover it.  But I want to put the router in a cabinet and the satellite at the front of my house.  The units could communicate just fine, but that left my garage and backyard with spotty coverage.  I could get another satellite, but now we're talking $500+ for the whole system.  3) I found a delay with commands sent to units connected to the satellite.  I have a home automation unit and sending a door lock/unlock command took 10 to 15 seconds to process, which is far to long to be useful.  This was particularly vexing since the software is bare bones and tracing the problem wasn't worth it for me given this and the other two problems.

I currently have an Amplifi HD on backorder.  We'll see how it goes.

How big is your house? One level or multi-level? Any obstructions, like a fireplace? For the backyard coverage, what is the exterior of the house, brick, wood, vinyl, steel? 

It's only about 2000 sqft and is all on one level.  We do have a fireplace, but it wouldn't be in between the router and the satellite.  But I do want to put the router in a cabinet and the satellite behind a sofa.  In between them is mostly air, but the corner of two walls does sort of enter their line of site.  House exterior is stucco.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

It's only about 2000 sqft and is all on one level.  We do have a fireplace, but it wouldn't be in between the router and the satellite.  But I do want to put the router in a cabinet and the satellite behind a sofa.  In between them is mostly air, but the corner of two walls does sort of enter their line of site.  House exterior is stucco.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I was asking the OP.

I was asking the OP.

Sorry, I used bugmenot.com to search this forum while not on a secure connection and replied to you under that account.  Rest assured those answers are from me - the OP.

BTW, that reply was from me, not a troll.

Using Eero and it's been pretty solid. Just received another app update today. Fortunately I purchased it at $300.

If only full-price I would look hard at AmplifiHD or the others.

• Like 1