RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

B120i catastrophic failure

lylej

Hi, my gen8 has worked fine for almost a year now and nothing has been changed in the last month. A couple of days ago after booting up the machine it resulted in BSOD. After some digging I established that the boot drive was not present after post. 

Reboot and looking into the SSA I see an error relating to the B120i. The error states "Dynamic Smart Array in embedded slot cannot be configured. The controller did not respond to configuration commands. A hardware failure may have occurred." (attached the full error report from SSA). After a reboot, no errors in SSA and the B120i LUNS are present. Reboot and the issue persists.

Through a command prompt doing a list volume, none of the volumes attached to the B120i are present but the disks attached to my P222 are.

Swapped out all cables. Tried the ODD port without any success. The disks attached to the B120i are simply not present after post completes.Updated BIOS (11/02/2015) and iLO (2.44) to the latest versions with no change. Using AHCI and Legacy no change!

I'm running Server 2012 R2. The only thing that is even worth noting is that I had a Windows update earlier this week but the machine did reboot fine after that.

The message in the Integrated Management Log in iLO "POST Error: 1724-Slot X Drive Array - Physical Drive Position Change(s) Detected. Logical drive configuration has automatically been updated." Looking around Google I found this http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_kc-0101039 but doing a power cycle yields no difference. 

Any thoughts?

b120i_error_report.pdf

I'm assuming you are running raid as well on B120. If so, based on what I red here. B120 and P222 should be compatible in terms of Raid configuration. So if you attach you B120 raid to P222 and it should pick it up. In case they are non raid disks try them on other computer.

I don't know if controller is dead or not but I wouldn't worry too much as you have P222. You can attach 4 more drives on external port and you can feed the cables back into case via small ide hole in the back that secures P222 card. I think this should work. At least my plan is to do that and avoid B120 completely. I'll try it in few days. I'm just waiting for disks, and I can let you know if it works :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by strux

What was the cause of the reboot?

I turned it off. The machine doesn't run 24hrs a day. I generally boot it up after getting home from work.

I'm assuming you are running raid as well on B120. If so, based on what I red here. B120 and P222 should be compatible in terms of Raid configuration. So if you attach you B120 raid to P222 and it should pick it up. In case they are non raid disks try them on other computer.

I don't know if controller is dead or not but I wouldn't worry too much as you have P222. You can attach 4 more drives on external port and you can feed the cables back into case via small ide hole in the back that secures P222 card. I think this should work. At least my plan is to do that and avoid B120 completely. I'll try it in few days. I'm just waiting for disks, and I can let you know if it works :)

Both B120i and P222 were configured as follows:

B120i

2 x 128gb Kingston SSD in RAID0

1 x 1tb Seagate HDD in RAID0

P222:

4 x 3tb in RAID5

Finding a work around is not something I am interested in pursing. If the controller or board are toast I'd rather deal with it now instead of limp along and have it fail in a major way somewhere down the line.

Thing is, the B120i is detected in POST and in SSA however just after post completes the communication with the controller seems to be interrupted. 

Nothing has changed regarding the server since the previous successful boot. The machine sits in a cool place connected to a UPS which is connected to a dual layer surge protection unit.

Is there nothing I can do like possible change jumper positions or the likes that can further assist in establishing that the controller is to blame?

Well I wouldn't touch jumpers as it was woking fine before. Probably last thing you could try is to switch to secondary bios or do a bios reset. If that doesn't help you should replace motherboard if under warranty if not i still think it would be waste not to attempt to connect remaining drives directly to P222 and ignore B120i that's software raid and not real raid controller anyways. So your drives are better off on P222. It doesn't mean that rest of the board will die. But you can never be sure ofc. For example my box is running 24/7 for about 1 year it was never switched off except few times for maintenance.