RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
oj88

Windows Server 2016 Essentials

Drashna Jaelre

Well, you can always download the Eval versions from Technet. That way, you can grab the file.  But yeah, doesn't make sense otherwise. They really should host it.  I'd offer, but that's a license violation. 

And yu have to install the role to get the file.  That's .... yeah...

My only regret in moving from whs2011 to 2012r2+ee is that the bare metal restore takes so much longer with the new software. otherwise, neither of them are difficult to administer. The only aggravation I experience these days is for a win10 major upgrade (and many insider upgrades so I stopped with that) you have to re-join to the server. too bad ms could not be more considerate in that regard.

I know you've said this before, but it's very odd, IMO.  I've not seen an increase in restore time on my systems. 

So I'm curious what the difference i.... 

That said, at least they fixed the re-join thing.  It's handled as software now, and not an update, so it survives major updates. 

And apparently, I lucked out as I've had not a single issue with Windows 10, aside from the connector issues. 

nrf

I have dipped my toe into the pool with the 180 day eval of essentials 2016 (then took it off after a couple days). maybe someone here has some relevant experience:

1) I was not able to uninstall the 2012r2 client connector from my win8.1 box through removing the update for it. I eventually did some registry cleanup and went ahead and put the new one on top but had to do some fixes to make the panel work

2) I believe my slow bare metal restore performance issues with 2012r2 (vs 2011) were related to lacp lag for nic teaming. without that I get the expected restore times. anyone use nic teaming and bare metal restore here? do you get any gains with it and do you use static or dynamic LAGs?

3) I too experienced an issue that there is a 'shared folders' share but can't get to it as a normal user. presumably I will just have to fix the permissions

4) skipdomainjoin worked as did the dns  tweak from tinkertryit.

5) if you are joining the domain durring client connect it takes a very long time to start up

6) the first time I joined a client, it seemed to take forever to go get one of the client .exe files from microsoft, like 20 minutes for a small executable. several attempts to pull the same file via browser yielded a wide range of speeds, like they have some cloud service that flips a coin to decide whether to send you to montezuma or new york for your download.

7)  during my first client backup without nic teaming I clocked a steady 500 Mbps on the lan connection (fyi).

8) surprisingly, I found that the recovery USB key from server 16 can also restore a client from 2012r2 essentials.

fwiw, any comments, thoughts? 

this is usually a slow online week but I am playing with my new toys so will be spending some online time too.

Edited by nrf

asdaHP

I have dipped my toe into the pool with the 180 day eval of essentials 2016 (then took it off after a couple days). maybe someone here has some relevant experience:

1) I was not able to uninstall the 2012r2 client connector from my win8.1 box through removing the update for it. I eventually did some registry cleanup and went ahead and put the new one on top but had to do some fixes to make the panel work

I initially could not find the 2012 r2 connector to uninstall and then realized that microsoft had moved it from uninstall/remove programs to installed updates, where i found and uninstalled it. However the 2016 connector goes into installed/add remove programs!! Albeit it was win 7 and win 10 that i observed these changes (dont have 8.1 anymore)

3) I too experienced an issue that there is a 'shared folders' share but can't get to it as a normal user. presumably I will just have to fix the permissions

Glad to here it isnt just me. Are you able to access the 'shared folders' share in 2012 r2 in the launchpad? And are you able to access the 'shared folders' as a network admin account now in 16? I cant access that folder irrespective of which user account type I have and whether i try from run command, launchpad or windows file explorer. I have played with the options (and i posted a question to drashna on the other thread ) on sharing and NTFS to no avail. In fact even when i remote into the server, under dfsroot, i can see a folder called 'shared folders' and list the underlying four folders but cant open those four. If i type :\\servername, then i see multiple folders such as users, user2 (probably a result of drivepool keeping my 12r2 essentials folders), sysvol etc and I can access them. Wondering if this is a server 16 bug.

4) skipdomainjoin worked as did the dns  tweak from tinkertryit.

5) if you are joining the domain durring client connect it takes a very long time to start up

6) the first time I joined a client, it seemed to take forever to go get one of the client .exe files from microsoft, like 20 minutes for a small executable. several attempts to pull the same file via browser yielded a wide range of speeds, like they have some cloud service that flips a coin to decide whether to send you to montezuma or new york for your download.

Yes skipdomain worked for me too. I am planning to connect an old pc with domain to see if that allows shared folder access. Not sure i follow point 5, but i dont recollect too slow a connect for point 6

I dont have more than one NIC so cant bond/aggregate. But those speeds seem great. Havent checked mine but in drivepool transfer is around 80MB/sec when copying files.

I am glad to hear that there are some posts in this forum. Dont seem to see much activity on windows server in this or the wegotserver threads. The older whs V1 was such an active forum ( i reminiscence!!)

asdaHP

Edit... I just connected a pc without the domain or dns skip method. It unfortunately happens to be this win 10 home system so it cant be part of domain i guess. In any case, shared folders works fine with both standard and admin users!!. So i suspect the issue has something to do with domain skip.

So i am even more curious if @nrf has been able to open shared folders via launchpad with a network admin user

nrf

I can't relate anything more about shared folders share but will look at it next time around.

Jason

Overall have you noticed many improvements in WSE16 over WSE12/R2? My Essentials 12R2 box has been rock solid. Have been curious about 2016 version but would need a significant reason to migrate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

asdaHP

I can't relate anything more about shared folders share but will look at it next time around.

Thanks.

asdaHP

Overall have you noticed many improvements in WSE16 over WSE12/R2? My Essentials 12R2 box has been rock solid. Have been curious about 2016 version but would need a significant reason to migrate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure if u were asking nrf or me. I ran the eval version of 12r2 essentials for a few months and then decided to buy 16 since it was available. 16 looks and feels very much like 12r2. One difference is that 16 does not have the win 8/8.1 interface. It feels like a more simple version of windows 10! I have also had no problems running connectors on windows 10 computers (which i remember was an issue for some with 12r2). But frankly if u have a stable version, i dont see a reason to upgrade.

By the way, on 12r2e on your launchpad, are you able to access shared folders as standard or admin user?

• Like 1

nrf

I see little motivation for 'home users' beyond keeping up with the latest. new server gets new OS :) But I like to have some hands-on with each new offering on general principal. As long as Dreamspark still keeps giving I will keep updating.

At work many systems still use 2008R2 with no issues, I think everything past there has been more cloud-ness which I am not applying at home. I think even whs2011 is still a viable choice for 'home user'.

Drashna Jaelre

But frankly if u have a stable version, i dont see a reason to upgrade.

This. Emphatically. 

And yeah, Server 2016 is the Windows 10 version of Server.  It's going to look a feel much like Windows 10, including no shitty "start menu" thing. 

As for the DFS Namespace stuff (the "Shared Folders"), here is what it looks like on 2012R2 Essentials: 

8Yvcoyq.png

uJUOI8f.png

• Like 2