RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
oj88

Windows Server 2016 Essentials

Drashna Jaelre

Hahah, I'm not sure about using it either, but if it means longer file names then that alone is probably enough for me, but other than that if it goes wrong, you told me to do it lol

Well, you'd need to enable the long file name support on the system access it.  It should be enough to enable it on the clients. 

Unless you're indexing or accessing it from the server too. Then you'd need to enable it there, as well. 

Either way, Microsoft does have a 180 day trial version of it, so you can definitely try before buying

One thing I did learn, and it may have been there in 2012R2 Essentials, is that you cannot join a 2016 Server to an existing domain and then install the Essentials Experience Role. Don't know why they have that block on, but I can join a 2016 Essentials Server to an existing domain and have the RWA capability.

That's ... odd.  Desktop experience role was installed, correct? 

jmwills

Well, you'd need to enable the long file name support on the system access it.  It should be enough to enable it on the clients. 

Unless you're indexing or accessing it from the server too. Then you'd need to enable it there, as well. 

Either way, Microsoft does have a 180 day trial version of it, so you can definitely try before buying

That's ... odd.  Desktop experience role was installed, correct? 

That option was greyed out when going this route.

Trig0r

Sorry, was wondering what particular use-case Trig0r had for it. I utilise it with storage spaces and mirroring at a couple of clients and know the literature around it and did much research into it (and BtrFS) when I was looking at file systems a while back for a project. Hence the interest in Trig0r's use-case

I just like to faff with things tbh..

I've got a VM that points to a network share, when you view the files from the server, or try to do anything with the files it moans about the length, if ReFS fixes that then that's enough for me..

Trig0r

Just noticed that I'm only running DP 2.1.561, anything that I need to be aware of before I move to the betas?

Drashna Jaelre

I just like to faff with things tbh..

I've got a VM that points to a network share, when you view the files from the server, or try to do anything with the files it moans about the length, if ReFS fixes that then that's enough for me..

ReFS may nto fix that outright.  It may support it, but so does NTFS. It jus supports MUCH LONGER paths, IIRC.

The real issue is the API being used.  Win32 maxes out at 255 charachers for the path length. While UNC ... allows for much longer. 

Windows 10 and Server 2016 have the option to enable the much longer path length, at the cost of application compatibilty. 

And I suspect that without this "hack", that Explorer will still choke. 

And again, it's the client that has the issue, not the server.  The SMB/samba/WIndows File Share server doesn't have an issue with path length. Just Explorer.

Just noticed that I'm only running DP 2.1.561, anything that I need to be aware of before I move to the betas?

That's perfectly fine.  It will work on Server 2016 just fine. 

Trig0r

Running beta now :)

Shuffling drives about still..

mukkelek

And where is media streaming? Media streaming is a separate download for Windows server 2012 R2. And for Windows server 2016 essentials?

Drashna Jaelre

And where is media streaming? Media streaming is a separate download for Windows server 2012 R2. And for Windows server 2016 essentials?

There is no media streaming pack for 2016 right now. 

You'd need to install something else to handle this. Such as Plex, Emby, Subsonic, Serviio, etc. 

Jason

Was the media streaming support on WSE12R2 even worth using. I've yet to find a need to use anything other than Plex Media Server. Just a reliable platform.

Drashna Jaelre

Was the media streaming support on WSE12R2 even worth using. I've yet to find a need to use anything other than Plex Media Server. Just a reliable platform.

Yes and no.  It integrated very nicely into the platform, but that's the best part.

Playback was very hit or miss, due to codec hell. 

Plex, Emby or Subsonic are much better solutions in this regards.