RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
oj88

Windows Server 2016 Essentials

Jason

Is it possible to convert or upgrade from NTFS to ReFS later? Or must be done at time or OS install?

Drashna Jaelre

Is it possible to convert or upgrade from NTFS to ReFS later? Or must be done at time or OS install?

Neither.  

ReFS is only for the non-system partitions. You can't boot from it. 

And you have to format as ReFS, there is no conversion.

Trig0r

Good job I have enough space in my DrivePool to move stuff from one drive to the others, then format that as ReFS, then start moving data over drive by drive, formatting, then adding to the pool...

Chris, can I just bang my codes in for DrivePool/Scanner and it be ok with that, or do I have to send you a ticket first so you can de-activate it your end?

Drashna Jaelre

Good job I have enough space in my DrivePool to move stuff from one drive to the others, then format that as ReFS, then start moving data over drive by drive, formatting, then adding to the pool...

Chris, can I just bang my codes in for DrivePool/Scanner and it be ok with that, or do I have to send you a ticket first so you can de-activate it your end?

If you're using the latest internal betas of StableBit DrivePool, you'll need to enable an advanced setting to do this. 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings

Set "CoveFs_AllowMixedFilesystems" to "True" and reboot. 

This only applies to 2.2.0.705 and up.  The 2.2.0.651 build allows this natively. 

Also, I'd recommend using the "Disk Usage Limiter" balancer here to clear out one or more drives at a time. That way, it's not sitting on "removing disk" for hours. 

(This is how I did it, actually) 

As for DrivePool/Scanner, if it's the same hardware, and you haven't reinstalled without deactivating the license, you should be able to reinstall just fine.  You can also deactivate the license in the UI prior to doing so.  Or I can go ahead and deactivate the licenses. 

But yes, it's best to contact us to have this done (in part, because the support system automatically attempts to look up the activation IDs on the admin side, making my job easier :) )

• Like 1

Trig0r

I have literally pulled the OS drive, banged a new drive in and installed it, then plugged the drives in and put on the same versions as I had before.

Pool appeared, including the SSD cache drive I was using, just removed the SSD for now, will look at the balancer, hows it work (short version) as I'll only be removing one drive at a time as I dont have the space to do more than one...

License front, will see if it takes the codes, if it doesnt then I'll ticket you at somepoint..

• Like 1

ShadowPeo

Whats the use-case for ReFS, I was looking at it from a data integrity point of view (bitrot) but the requirement for mirroring and storage spaces puts a kink in that

Drashna Jaelre

Whats the use-case for ReFS, I was looking at it from a data integrity point of view (bitrot) but the requirement for mirroring and storage spaces puts a kink in that

Well, ReFS doesn't require storage spaces or mirroring.  But the self healing aspect does.  

Otherwise, the file system works well without it. 

As for use case, the biggest things are the integrity streams, and that it is a copy on write file system. So it is more resilient to corruption. 

However, if you're not sure about using it, then it's probably best not to. 

ShadowPeo

Well, ReFS doesn't require storage spaces or mirroring.  But the self healing aspect does.  

Otherwise, the file system works well without it. 

As for use case, the biggest things are the integrity streams, and that it is a copy on write file system. So it is more resilient to corruption. 

However, if you're not sure about using it, then it's probably best not to. 

Sorry, was wondering what particular use-case Trig0r had for it. I utilise it with storage spaces and mirroring at a couple of clients and know the literature around it and did much research into it (and BtrFS) when I was looking at file systems a while back for a project. Hence the interest in Trig0r's use-case

Trig0r

Hahah, I'm not sure about using it either, but if it means longer file names then that alone is probably enough for me, but other than that if it goes wrong, you told me to do it lol

jmwills

One thing I did learn, and it may have been there in 2012R2 Essentials, is that you cannot join a 2016 Server to an existing domain and then install the Essentials Experience Role. Don't know why they have that block on, but I can join a 2016 Essentials Server to an existing domain and have the RWA capability.