RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
oj88

Windows Server 2016 Essentials

Trig0r

Are you guys seeing any advantages in running ReFS, NTFS doesnt bother me but new shiney stuff and all that... ;)

Drashna Jaelre

Are you guys seeing any advantages in running ReFS, NTFS doesnt bother me but new shiney stuff and all that... ;)

Integrity streams (error detection of corruption or random bit flips, either of which is very rare), copy on write (when modifying files, it creates an entirely new copy of the modifed file and then removes the original, this makes sudden power less much less likely to corrupt data), 64k path lengths, compatibility with most NTFS API. 

:)

jmwills

I have 2016 Essential joined to a previously existing domain. No real issues other than I'm trying to walk through how to bind the website to an alternate port other than 443.  I've done it before with an out of the boox setup but this time I have to supply my own SSL cert.

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

I have 2016 Essential joined to a previously existing domain. No real issues other than I'm trying to walk through how to bind the website to an alternate port other than 443.  I've done it before with an out of the boox setup but this time I have to supply my own SSL cert.

Should be simple

Open IIS, find the SSL Certificates section, import the certificate.

Then open up "Default Website" (or create your own), and add a binding.  specify the host name, the port and the certificate and save. 

jmwills

It probably is easier than letting the OOB installation take over.  Every instance of WHS or Essentials I've had has run on alternate ports because I'm too lazy to setup a reverse proxy.

Jason

By sounds of it may stick with WSE12R2...at least until WSE16 R2 maybe. ReFS is intriguing. Otherwise can't see a need within my home environment.

Agree WSE12R2 was an improvement over WHS2011.

Drashna Jaelre

By sounds of it may stick with WSE12R2...at least until WSE16 R2 maybe. ReFS is intriguing. Otherwise can't see a need within my home environment.

Agree WSE12R2 was an improvement over WHS2011.

ReFS support is present in Server 2012R2, so it's not needed for 2016 (no R2, yet). 

However, there is one thing that may be worth it:

Long file name support.  Server 2016 and Windows 10 have an option to enable file names longer than 255 for applications like Explorer.  (any program using UNC paths, eg \\?\c:\path\to\file is exempt from this length limitation already).  That may be worth it.  

Trig0r

Long file names would help me tbh, there's a folder that I grabbed from a friend of mine on my DC VM, try to do things with the folder on the server itself and it moans about file path being too long or whatever the actual moan is...

Drashna Jaelre

Long file names would help me tbh, there's a folder that I grabbed from a friend of mine on my DC VM, try to do things with the folder on the server itself and it moans about file path being too long or whatever the actual moan is...

Renaming the parent folder may help, but yeah. 

Also, using an alternative file manager (Directory Opus, Total commander, etc) may help too, as these use the UNC paths rather than the Win32 paths  (UNC is limited to 32k characters IIRC, not 255). 

But yeah, it would be nice to not have to worry about something that hasn't been fixed in a decade.

Trig0r

Well if ReFS fixes it then thats reason enough to swap for me..

Unless they've managed to bork something that wasn't broken in the first place..