oj88

Windows Server 2016 Essentials

oj88    102
oj88

Has anyone started playing with this in their environment? Got a couple of questions...

1. Does a workaround exist (like in 2012 Essentials) where clients may be added without having to join the domain?

2. Is Client Backup more stable? Particularly, is the backup database more resilient to corruption when client backups are cancelled, interrupted, etc.?

The reason I've stayed this long on WHS2011 is primarily because it doesn't require clients to be joined to a domain. This makes it easy on everyone (family members). Though I'm aware that there's a way around it in Windows Server 2012 Essentials, I just didn't thought it was worth my time and effort when WHS2011 is working well for me, up to a certain extent. The only major issue, if any, I have with WHS2011 is that the client backup database would develop a problem every several months. Whether or not it is a software bug or some other issues, it's moot to discuss how to fix it, especially now that I'm considering to move to 2016 Essentials. Needless to say, my setup is now two generations old (N-2), I'm thinking maybe it's time for me to consider running the latest and greatest Microsoft has to offer.

Thank you.

Drashna Jaelre    152
Drashna Jaelre

I'm not sure about the connector, but it's the same code base, so I'd .... assume so. I haven't tested it yet. 

As for the client backup... again, same code base. So it depends on exactly how they improved it. If any. 

But the 2012+ client backup is a lot better than WHS2011's, and doesn't have anywhere near the number of issues that WHS2011 has. It's a lot more stable and resilent.  So 2016 should be *at least* so.

• Like 1

Trig0r    118
Trig0r

I've got the ISO for 2016, havent played with it yet though, I do have the next 2 days off work though, I may have a play, I might not...

Drashna Jaelre    152
Drashna Jaelre

I've got the ISO for 2016, havent played with it yet though, I do have the next 2 days off work though, I may have a play, I might not...

If it matters, 2016 Essentials acn be joined to a domain without a problem.  It doesn't have to be the primary domain controller, IIRC.

Trig0r    118
Trig0r

I was thinking of doing the same for 2016 as I did for 2012r2, install the Essentials role..

Any Stablebit issues with 2016 that are known?

Poppapete    103
Poppapete

I played with it when preview 4 was out.  Connected a Surface Pro 3 using skipdomainjoin and did a backup and restore. Ran it for a month. It seemed to work exactly like 2012 version but I can see no advantages for me over 2012 so I won't be "upgrading".

Drashna Jaelre    152
Drashna Jaelre

I was thinking of doing the same for 2016 as I did for 2012r2, install the Essentials role..

Any Stablebit issues with 2016 that are known?

Nope. All of the products work properly. 

Well, there was one issue with DrivePool.  The wrong driver was getting installed due to a fluke in the MSI handling.  However, the service actually detects the OS version and will reinstall the correct driver, which is what was happening, and requiring an additional reboot of the system.  Fixed in the latest beta build (2.2.0.723)

So very minor. 

Otherwise, works great. 

I played with it when preview 4 was out.  Connected a Surface Pro 3 using skipdomainjoin and did a backup and restore. Ran it for a month. It seemed to work exactly like 2012 version but I can see no advantages for me over 2012 so I won't be "upgrading".

Newer code base, that's about it. 

Also, you can join the server to an existing domain, without a problem.

Otherwise, yeah, should function exactly the same. 

Trig0r    118
Trig0r

Still on NTFS, no ReFS support yet, if it makes any odds that is..

oj88    102
oj88

Thanks all. I'm now waiting for Division-M to come out with the latest version of Drive Bender that will work with Server 2016. Until then, I have another question:

Bottomline, is WHS2011 = WinSvr2016 Essentials + SkipDomainJoin as far as client experience is concerned? I can still share folders from the server on a workgroup level, like how it was with WHS2011?

Drashna Jaelre    152
Drashna Jaelre

Still on NTFS, no ReFS support yet, if it makes any odds that is..

Huh?

And just FYI, the beta versions of DrivePool do support ReFS.  The latest internal beta's don't support "mixed pools", so if you have NTFS formatted disks, you can't add ReFS. But there is an advanced settings to do enable mixing. 

But it's preliminary ReFS support. 

Thanks all. I'm now waiting for Division-M to come out with the latest version of Drive Bender that will work with Server 2016. Until then, I have another question:

Bottomline, is WHS2011 = WinSvr2016 Essentials + SkipDomainJoin as far as client experience is concerned? I can still share folders from the server on a workgroup level, like how it was with WHS2011?

Yes.   it's a bit better IMO, as there is a "shared folder" shortcut that creates a link to just the shared folders, and none of the "special folders" (such as folder redirection, sysvol, etc).

But yeah, you can use it just like WHS2011. 

• Like 1