RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server sizing

ThePoulsen

Hi All

I'm currently planning a new business venture (I'm going to build a strategy execution platform for medium sized businesses) for this I am currently trying to decide if I want to host the tool myself, or move it to the cloud.

The features I plan on running (possibly on individual virtual clients)

• NAS for backup (mirror towards an existing HP microserver gen8 for extra backup)
  • One or more database servers (Postgresql)
  • Mail server for one or more domains
  • DNS server
  • Web server for one or more websites
  • FTP server
  • one or more development clients for testing purposes.

The Web app will be an Apache/Python Flask/postgresql LAMP stack. I am not anticipating thousands of concurrent users, but plan on selling locally (Denmark) where a success would be 100-200 daily users. so the load will be relatively small.

I am looking at several dell servers, and I am having a hard time sizing my requirements.

would a Xeon E3-1245V5 be sufficient for 5-15 virtual machines given 64 GB memory

which RAID level should I be looking into? speed should not be an issue, so I am thinking that a simple mirror between two drives should be suficcient, combined with external clone.

Any thoughts?

Have you considered SuperMicro and building it yourself or purchasing one of these bundles?

https://tinkertry.com/superguide-supermicro-superserver

I have considered these yes, they actually seem a very nice fit for my purposes. I am also considering Dell tower servers in the low end of the range (T330).

What worries me about the SuperServer is the CPU at "only" 2 GHz.

But then again, my requirements will most likely be in the "more threads not faster" area, so having 8C/16T would be a plus over the 1245 4C/8T

It will definitely go on my short list :)

Honestly if its could-based, and purely cloud-based I would host it in a "real" data centre where they have redundant links, proper environmental controls and power conditioning, beats having to invest in and maintain that stuff yourself. Something to consider may be a VPS or Dedicated server solution. This also has the benefit of being OpEx as against CapEx

Honestly if its could-based, and purely cloud-based I would host it in a "real" data centre where they have redundant links, proper environmental controls and power conditioning, beats having to invest in and maintain that stuff yourself. Something to consider may be a VPS or Dedicated server solution. This also has the benefit of being OpEx as against CapEx

I'm still considering my options in this regard.

If it were only the cloud based tool I'd be hosting then no worries, I'd go to the cloud in an instant.

Since I need a whole lot of other infrastructure stuff on my server, and wish to have several virtual servers running, each performing it's own specific task (Mail, DNS, Routing, Firewall, Backup etc) I would quickly have to sign up for several online services.

Having it as CapEx or OpEx does not really bother me much, I'm just a one man show, and do not have investors currently. When I start looking for investors down the line, I will be able to put CapEx Savings into the prospect as a possible optimization route. But those few thousand dollars in CapEx won't break any bank for me presently ;)

I'm still considering my options in this regard.

If it were only the cloud based tool I'd be hosting then no worries, I'd go to the cloud in an instant.

Since I need a whole lot of other infrastructure stuff on my server, and wish to have several virtual servers running, each performing it's own specific task (Mail, DNS, Routing, Firewall, Backup etc) I would quickly have to sign up for several online services.

Having it as CapEx or OpEx does not really bother me much, I'm just a one man show, and do not have investors currently. When I start looking for investors down the line, I will be able to put CapEx Savings into the prospect as a possible optimization route. But those few thousand dollars in CapEx won't break any bank for me presently ;)

I was not saying to have no server, I was just saying put the cloud client stuff in the cloud, I should have perhaps made that clearer.

As for mail I am a fan of cloud hosting that service, I know your internet is better than here in the land of really shitty internet connections, but it's not a great problem to host it externally, I prefer and recommend the Office365 system for this.

I have a tendency to (depending on the client) put DHCP/DNS (and AD) on one machine, or where appropriate bundle it with the router/firewall (where no AD is used) but that is different for each client

Storage I keep seperate

Backups I keep separated from the main storage, they in a different location on the premises, on an independent device used for nothing but backup storage, and where possible in a totally building ideally as far as I can get from the main server rack. Offsite backup is then used to provide and additional store of the data as well (All automated through VEEAM, its taken me 3 years but all clients now back up via VEEAM for their VM's)

Thats an overview of "How I do it" and what I tend to reccomend (go figure) but it is not always achievable.

I was not saying to have no server, I was just saying put the cloud client stuff in the cloud, I should have perhaps made that clearer.

As for mail I am a fan of cloud hosting that service, I know your internet is better than here in the land of really shitty internet connections, but it's not a great problem to host it externally, I prefer and recommend the Office365 system for this.

I have a tendency to (depending on the client) put DHCP/DNS (and AD) on one machine, or where appropriate bundle it with the router/firewall (where no AD is used) but that is different for each client

Storage I keep seperate

Backups I keep separated from the main storage, they in a different location on the premises, on an independent device used for nothing but backup storage, and where possible in a totally building ideally as far as I can get from the main server rack. Offsite backup is then used to provide and additional store of the data as well (All automated through VEEAM, its taken me 3 years but all clients now back up via VEEAM for their VM's)

Thats an overview of "How I do it" and what I tend to reccomend (go figure) but it is not always achievable.

Thank you for the advice :)

I already have a Microserver gen8 that I plan to use for backup purposes, but perhaps I should just get me another one of these for all the non'cloud based stuff, and then host the tool in the cloud initially. Only issue I have with the Gen8 is the CPU which I am not that impressed with, and 1155 Xeons are becoming scarce here in Denmark, but i might just give it a go