RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L randomly changing HDD boot order

xreyuk

Hi, 

I have a headless N40L running Debian. In the past few months I have had 5 or 6 random instances on reboots, where the HDD boot order is changed in the BIOS. It still knows to boot from a HDD first, but changes the priorities for the disks. 

I have the stock 250GB HDD running via a SATA cable stored in the CD drive bay, and then have 4 x 2TB drives in the slots in a software RAID 5 array. 

Does anyone know why this happens and if there is a way of preventing it, as obviously it stops the server booting.

Thanks.

Make sure you do not have any disk changes (USB connected drives count), as I have seen that when I do. It totally forgets the HD disk priority I have had set....

This is on the n36l and n40l with modded bios. Not sure if it makes a difference.

Brian

This happens to me when the SATA or power connection to the boot/system HDD isn't reliable. Especially true back then when I was still using cheap SATA power Y-connectors. HDDs, including the system drive would randomly drop out, causing the BIOS to remove the missing system drive from the list and forcing it to use the next (non-system) drive as the first drive. This behavior is not limited to the HP Microservers.

For starters, check the SATA data cable as well as your 4-pin Molex to SATA power converter for snuggness or just replace them with quality cables.

Make sure you do not have any disk changes (USB connected drives count), as I have seen that when I do. It totally forgets the HD disk priority I have had set....

This is on the n36l and n40l with modded bios. Not sure if it makes a difference.

Brian

Thanks. I don't usually connect a USB drive but I'll bear that in mind.

This happens to me when the SATA or power connection to the boot/system HDD isn't reliable. Especially true back then when I was still using cheap SATA power Y-connectors. HDDs, including the system drive would randomly drop out, causing the BIOS to remove the missing system drive from the list and forcing it to use the next (non-system) drive as the first drive. This behavior is not limited to the HP Microservers.

For starters, check the SATA data cable as well as your 4-pin Molex to SATA power converter for snuggness or just replace them with quality cables.

Thanks, I looked at them and it looked as though the SATA connector was a little loose on the motherboard so hopefully that will have sorted it. If i not I'll try changing cables.