RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Fresh start, new CPU and drives

_Designer

Hello, this is my first post here. I have posted this on reddit, but wanted feedback from the community here.

The new Hardware (see attachment) will have an Xeon CPU (will arrive in 1/2 weeks) and 2 x 4TB drives. So am looking to start clean and would appreciate any feedback/recommendations.

Plan
I want to make more use of my server. Currently I do my Website development with Vagrant and Virtualbox on my Deskop PC. I want to move development sites to the server running different PHP versions, Nginx / Apache, etc.

I was looking into Docker containers and it seems neat, but quite a lot of config and am not sure if I can get all services easily running inside containers. Not an area I have read much about yet.

CPU
I am replacing the Celeron G1610T with an Xeon 1265L 2.40GHz.
Hard Drives

Media

I now have an extra 2 x HGST 4TB drives available. Will move all my Plex media there since one of the WD Red was filled up already. These drives are not in raid or backed up. 3TB of Media as of now.

Personal

Both drives are encrypted and fully backed up to CrashPlan. Only 150 GB out of 6 TB used right now, but this will slowly grow as I move all family data there.

Operating System
I have been running Ubuntu Server 14.04 on a 120GB SSD. I have a spare 1TB SSD if I need it. I like the Ubuntu Server OS, but was wondering about future releases. If I upgrade to 16.04 or future releases, I don't want my services broken.

Questions
  • Don't have to answer all, but any feedback is appreciated:
  • Do you backup your torrent Movies/Shows media? How and where.
  • What other services do you recommend?
  • Docker, LXC or LXD?

Also any questions you have about my setup, feel free to ask.

Thank you for reading.

lQerk8V.jpg

Edited by _Designer

Questions
  • Docker, LXC or LXD?

Backups:

What's the point of backing up what you have torrented when you can just torrent it again? I'm not sure I see much point in getting precious about it.

OTOH, if your collection is carefully extracted and painstakingly transcoded over months media from your own thousands of DVDs and Blurays, Amazon Cloud Drive is very good value at £55/year for all you can eat storage. Add a one-off lifetime Plex Pass subscription, and you don't have to keep your media locally, use Plex Coud Server and connect it to your media on ACD - no longer any need to run your own plex server or worry about CPU requirements of transcoding or storage space.

Containerization:

What exactly do you plan to use containerization for?

OS Upgrades:

There is _always_ a risk that the OS upgrade will blow up or that at least some services will break, even if it is officially "supported". You get that even on Windows these days. Never upgrading isn't an option, either, because once the supported period expires you will be leaving yourself open to security exploits that will never be patched by the distro vendor. Bottom line, make sure you keep your data and programs separate, and keep all configuration files you changed in a suitable repository. Even something as simple as CVS will do. That way when you reinstall the OS from scratch, you can install the extra packages you need, mount your data volumes, drop in the configuration files, and be up and running very quickly. As with everything, there is no replacement for knowing what you are doing.

• Like 1

Backups:

What's the point of backing up what you have torrented when you can just torrent it again? I'm not sure I see much point in getting precious about it.

OTOH, if your collection is carefully extracted and painstakingly transcoded over months media from your own thousands of DVDs and Blurays, Amazon Cloud Drive is very good value at £55/year for all you can eat storage. Add a one-off lifetime Plex Pass subscription, and you don't have to keep your media locally, use Plex Coud Server and connect it to your media on ACD - no longer any need to run your own plex server or worry about CPU requirements of transcoding or storage space.

Containerization:

What exactly do you plan to use containerization for?

OS Upgrades:

There is _always_ a risk that the OS upgrade will blow up or that at least some services will break, even if it is officially "supported". You get that even on Windows these days. Never upgrading isn't an option, either, because once the supported period expires you will be leaving yourself open to security exploits that will never be patched by the distro vendor. Bottom line, make sure you keep your data and programs separate, and keep all configuration files you changed in a suitable repository. Even something as simple as CVS will do. That way when you reinstall the OS from scratch, you can install the extra packages you need, mount your data volumes, drop in the configuration files, and be up and running very quickly. As with everything, there is no replacement for knowing what you are doing.

Thanks for your feedback :)

I just looked into the Amazon Cloud. My upload/download speeds are not great. I prefer to run it locally as it's faster (I use it at home mostly). And now that I've got a new CPU, it shouldn't have issues transcoding .

However, I do have a CrashPlan unlimited account ($60/year). So I could upload my collection to there. Even though most are just Torrents, It's quite time consuming to go through, find, sort and re-download them all.

The containers are mainly for my Website Development. I want to run different PHP, Web server versions. But it would also be cool to have Plex and my other services in containers, keep them isolated.

I use Debian on my boxes.  You should try Rsync.  It is native to Linux/unix.  On Ubuntu/Debian type apt-get install rsync .  Here are some links to set it up.  

This one is for Debian which Ubuntu is based on.  http://www.debiantutorials.com/remote-backups-using-rsync/

This one is specific to Ubuntu. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/rsync

This one is about the commands that Rsync uses. http://www.tecmint.com/rsync-local-remote-file-synchronization-commands/

What I do is this.  I like multiple backups.  I have Rsync setup on my NAS.  On my Debian boxes.  I have their rysnc setup to sync to the NAS.  In the NAS.  I have that share that I use for my Rsync backups also setup for CIFS (windows share).  On my windows computer.  I have an e-sata drive enclosure.  I copy the contents on the NAS to my e-sata drive.  That copy is my backup to the backup.  Once TWC upgrades the speed in my area (supposedly scheduled for this December/January to 300 down/20 up max).  I will start using Amazon S3.  Currently with my 5 Mb/s large file uploads is not time convenient.  Especially when you have 700 MB to 4 GB files.  The service I am looking at is.

http://www.s3rsync.com

Hello, this is my first post here. I have posted this on reddit, but wanted feedback from the community here.

The new Hardware (see attachment) will have an Xeon CPU (will arrive in 1/2 weeks) and 2 x 4TB drives. So am looking to start clean and would appreciate any feedback/recommendations.

Plan
I want to make more use of my server. Currently I do my Website development with Vagrant and Virtualbox on my Deskop PC. I want to move development sites to the server running different PHP versions, Nginx / Apache, etc.

I was looking into Docker containers and it seems neat, but quite a lot of config and am not sure if I can get all services easily running inside containers. Not an area I have read much about yet.

CPU
I am replacing the Celeron G1610T with an Xeon 1265L 2.40GHz.
Hard Drives

Media

I now have an extra 2 x HGST 4TB drives available. Will move all my Plex media there since one of the WD Red was filled up already. These drives are not in raid or backed up. 3TB of Media as of now.

Personal

Both drives are encrypted and fully backed up to CrashPlan. Only 150 GB out of 6 TB used right now, but this will slowly grow as I move all family data there.

Operating System
I have been running Ubuntu Server 14.04 on a 120GB SSD. I have a spare 1TB SSD if I need it. I like the Ubuntu Server OS, but was wondering about future releases. If I upgrade to 16.04 or future releases, I don't want my services broken.

Questions
  • Don't have to answer all, but any feedback is appreciated:
  • Docker, LXC or LXD?

Also any questions you have about my setup, feel free to ask.

Thank you for reading.

I like using Debian.  I tried Ubuntu server around the time of version 10.  I didn't like the pre configured and install services.  I do network usb stick installs of Debian.  Once the install the is done and the box is rebooted.  The only service I have running is SSH.  From there I remove the keyboard and monitor from the box.  I then sign in using SSH from my desktop and start apt-get'ing and configuring the services I need.  I like starting with a clean install and only install what I need.  Just my 2 cents.

I don't blame you for making more use out of your server.  Rsync is a good use for it.  You could even spin up a Linux VM and rysnc to it.  As long as you have the VM's storage to a place that is accessible out side of the vm.

Edited by dalem