RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cheapest processor upgrade

rich1983

Hi guys. I'm on a budget.

What's the best processor to go for from the celeron, that will offer a noticeable improvement (some cores and HT etc).

I realise a xeon will offer a noticeable improvement at a tremendous cost for me. I'm looking for something which can be found used for low cost.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hi I went for an i3 3240 because it was £50 in a pc with 1tb hard drive so I swapped the cpu with the Celeron and swapped the hard drive for a 500gb and sold it on again for £50. Someone mentioned an i5 30 something t model can't remember where now but they got one from Cex for £50 I would have preferred that but low on cash so wanted a free upgrade. Plenty of threads on cpus if you look around its all about the xeons but people mention i3 and i5 every now and then that they confirm working and temperatures ok

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I just bought a i5 2390t from ebay £48.

Seems to work well - messed up my Unraid installation though and had to disable vt-d for it to work.

I had bridged the two embedded NICs and vt-d stopped them being recognised as available devices - I need to go and do some reading to sort it finally.

The i3 cpu's are good performers.  You could also look at older i5's.  I have a i5 in one of my boxes.  I can't remember the model but it is from 2012.  I think it was 3xxx model.  It is a quad core cpu.  It is a very good cpu.  I was using the 2012 i5 up until a couple months ago in my desktop.  It is now in a Debian server that replaced an old pentium 4.

Price to performance, the i3's are a nice upgrade from what you currently have. But the other options would be the i5's mentioned by the others. If you can try to find a cheap xeon that will work since that's the best bang for the buck. I will do some digging and see what a friend of mine has laying around.