RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

USB3.0 Speed

cyberboblouth

Hi Guys,

There is some story behind this but essentially I would like to know some benchmark USB3.0 speeds for the N40L (or 36 / 54).

My benchmarks (CristalDisk Mark 5, all Sequential results):

2TB Seagate USB3.0 = 70MBytes/s Read & 65MBytes/s Write

6TB WD Essentials USB3.0 = 69Mbytes/s Read & 62Mbytes/s Write

Orico USB3.0 (RAID5, 5x 4TB) = 66Mbytes/s Read & 53Mbytes/s Write

Speeds are good BUT if I access via another PC on network (PC to N40L to USB3.0 drive):

6TB WD Essentials USB3.0 = 42Mbytes/s Read & 40Mbytes/s Write

At this moment I can't remember where I bought my USB3.0 card, if people could let me know there cards and speeds that would be great.  The reason I ask is there is a YouTube video for that Orico 5 bay RAID enclosure and his benchmarks on USB3.0 are way higher.

having said that, using the button that is labelled 'seq' I got 141 / 139 on my n54l. I have an inatek usb3 card and WD mybook 4tb

The speed tests listed in one of the pictures is based on testing with SSD. You will never get near that with a HDD. Sustained transfer rate on the average HDD is 100-175MByte/sec. The other variable is the SATA to USB 3.0 converter, I have found them to be a limiting factor.

yes. fwiw my first one failed within 30 days but they shipped me a replacement after I gave it a bad review. so far the second is doing fine.

Great. I notice it doesn't have a power connector (molex or sata).  How does it work with non-powered (ie laptop size) USB3.0 hard drives?

I don't rely on power from it so can't say.

Running the power lead in a g7 is a pain I did not have to endure with this card