RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HSS Commission Links to Amazon - Please Read

Dave

Hey Guys,

It seems I've been breaking the rules lately.  Amazon has informed me that I can no longer direct link to them for commissions.  So I can't use this any longer:  http://homeservershow.com/amazon  or create custom domains that directly link to Amazon.  So, I've taken all of that down. 

If you have bookmarked any of those links or any direct link to Amazon via an affiliate whether it is me or someone else you need to remove them.  You should be visiting the site of the affiliate, homeservershow.com, and clicking through to Amazon.  That is the rule of Amazon for the affiliate.  I didn't realize I was breaking that rule and am trying to make amends.

They also stated I was providing direct compensation to those who use my affiliate links.  That's complete rubbish but they will not return my e-mail for me to figure out why they accused me of that.  Whatever. I still recommend Amazon and will continue to purchase their products.  I'll have to rely on Patreon and other methods of commissions instead of the Amazon program.  We'll see.  I'll keep you update.

Dave

homeservershow.com

Good catch and good question.  I just put up a sidebar with ebay and amazon search.  That is legitimate in Amazon's eye.  This is how you are supposed to do it.  So yes, please use those search bars.

If you guys look on the sidebar to the right --------->

You should see an eBay search bar and an Amazon search bar.  If you don't see it, you might have an ad blocker running.  Please consider unblocking this site so you can see it.  Thanks.

Update:

I got another e-mail from Amazon.  The direct compensation thing was this.  I am "incentivizing" you to shop amazon to support this site.  Here is their language, "(by specifying that purchases made using your Affiliate tags will help to support your website)"

So, I can't say that your helping to support this site by shopping on Amazon via my affiliate links.  I can only put the links out there. Every affiliate of every retailer is doing it to support themselves or the websites but I guess we can't actually say that. I don't get that but it is what it is.

They also say I'm encouraging you to bookmark.  I don't recall doing this but I did put up a notification bar a few years back saying that you could drag it to your bookmarks bar.  That was 2 years or more back.  I have not used that in a while.  Again, it is what it is.

I took down all shortlinks and domain forwards.  They did say if I took down all that stuff they would allow me to re-apply as an affiliate.  So that is good. I didn't know I was breaking the rules.  It's certainly my fault though.  I won't push it off on anyone else.  I should have reread the terms when I got ideas on how to generate more amazon traffic. Ignorance of the law is no excuse! Isn't that what the police say?  

Ok, Amazon. I'm complying!  I'll reply to them and see if I can reapply some day.  Carry on!

I am beyond confused. I read plenty of blogs and many link product in their stories/reviews directly to Amazon. I am not certain they are affiliates though.

I have also read that there are web sites telling people how to use the affiliate program to generate revenue. They all use links.

I would assume Amazon is trying to recover revenue that they are handing over to affiliates.

They are just cracking down on this more and more.  A month ago Linus Tech Tips got the same situation.  He was putting it on his videos on youtube linking to Amazon.  They said nope.  

Yes, tons of people got hit by this.  Many in our circle as well.  I think they would have been better served by issuing a notice of non compliance as I assume most of us were not doing it intentionally to thwart "the man."  I simply followed in others footsteps.  I sent traffic to Amazon. I thought they would be appreciative.  Apparently not.  Links they want?  Links they get!  ;)