RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

CPU upgrade and ECC

sunday

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum (but I lurked here for a while).

I am planning to upgrade the G2020T to the most powerful CPU on a budget while keeping ECC functionality and 35W TDP.

The official list of ECC CPUs is rather short for 1155. A couple of Celerons, some Pentium Gs and that's about it.

The next logical choice is a Xeon E3-1220 but the wife does not approve a Xeon in my Microserver.

I do not have the new radiator so I can use the non-T i3 (3240* or smth).

So I'm looking at the i3-32x0Ts or the couple of i5s which have 35W TDP.

The question is if they support ECC.

The general consensus is the i5 CPUs do not support ECC.

A while ago some Sandy/Ivy Bridge i3 CPUs were marked as ECC compatible in ARK. It is not true anymore, so one would ask himself if the table was wrong in the first place or if Intel does not want us to use cheap CPUs with ECC. I assume the first is true, but cannot be 100% sure.

According to an Intel employee - it was an error.

I also read the long thread which concluded it is impossible to determine if the ECC function is working or not (short of shooting the board with alpha particles, something I am not equipped or willing to try).

I took a look at my chipset with AIDA and it says "ECC - supported, enabled".

Can somebody with an i3 or i5 CPU please have a look to check if it's the same? I suppose the answer is yes, so we can't reach any conclusion, but perhaps...

*this CPU raises one more question: does HP sell the server with a non-ECC CPU?

ecc.jpg

Edited by sunday

Appealing to your kindness for some more work: please check the HP Management memory page also.

Mine looks like the attached image.

For those of you running Windows Server: can you please run this in a command prompt?

wmic memphysical get memoryerrorcorrection

The answers are the following:

0 (0x0) Reserved
1 (0x1) Other
2 (0x2) Unknown
3 (0x3) None
4 (0x4) Parity
5 (0x5) Single-bit ECC
6 (0x6) Multi-bit ECC
7 (0x7) CRC

Cheers

ecc2.jpg

Edited by sunday

Can't tell if you did upgrade the CPU from your signature, so I assume it's the stock one.

It would be quite nice to get some results from i3 and i5 users, including the stock i3-3240 from the newer models.

To be blunt, it's mostly xeon's that support ECC. Very few of the desktop CPUs do.  If you want ECC, you'll need to go Xeon. 

As for the wife's approval... if she'll approve a Core i7 CPU, then there is no reason to not approve a Xeon. Most of the E3's are basically slightly better Core i7 CPUs.  It's when you get int o the E5 line that you really start hitting obscene. 

As for the wife's approval... if she'll approve a Core i7 CPU

She won't.

Also - the cheap G2020T does support ECC and most (if not all) AMD CPUs support ECC.

She won't.

Also - the cheap G2020T does support ECC and most (if not all) AMD CPUs support ECC.

I don't mean to pry, but why not? 

If it's cost, then eBay is your friend.  

I find the 1220L v2 rather expensive for my budget, and that's before adding taxes.

If I buy from China (cheap delivery) I will pay 20% VAT. If I buy from US I will add 20% VAT plus not so cheap delivery.

*this CPU raises one more question: does HP sell the server with a non-ECC CPU?

I raised the same question - it looks like from Intel's info that the i3 cpu that HP is putting in the GEN8 Microserver doesn't support ECC RAM.  (Unless of course Intel's data is wrong,)

I asked HP support and they said that's true, 3240 does not support ECC.

So it may be so, HP does use ECC RAM just because.

Also it was confirmed the non-ECC i5-3470 is reporting 5 (0x5) Single-bit ECC when asked about. So this test is also useless, as presumed.