RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen 8 Graphics card

tezray

Hi I have an i3 3240 and 16gb ram in my gen 8. Currently have a hd 5450 for htpc to the TV but I want to be able to game a bit with my daughter mainly Ark survival evolved. She will be using the gaming pc. I have seen the gtx 750ti is the best bet for the gen but saw somewhere another newer gpu was coming out but with all the gpus out their God knows which ones they are. The 750ti is not a bad price on amazon UK at the moment £90. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00SOXMPJY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476044279&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=N750TI-2GD5TLP

Still seems so high though could have bought a gtx 970 4gb the other day for £90 secondhand but anyway limitations of a tiny microserver. Does anyone know any other options for me I have exhausted googling and searching on groups but maybe I have missed something. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

750Ti is the highest performance you can hope to get away with within the thermal and power envelopes of the G8, but even that will be pushing it. I am not aware of any new GPUs having been announced suitable for a small form factor.

Personally I use a GT630, passively cooled. Performance-wise, it is about half way between the the HD6450 and the 750Ti. Good enough for the likes of Left4Dead 2 and Payday 2 at 1080p.

Have you considered the possibility of running a VM "seat" on the big PC? I have a triple-seat gaming capable workstation (3x (GPU, keyboard, mouse)), and it works very well.

Thanks for getting back to me. I saw something about a new 950 model that doesn't need a power plug like the 750ti but can't find it now not to worry. The gt 630 doesn't seem to have a high passmark score but in reality it might play the game I need. I have tried searching for the vm you mention but can't find anything could you point me in a direction that could help please it could be a good idea for me. Thanks

VM as in Virtual Machine. You configure the machine to run Linux. If the game you want to play has a Linux port, you only need one VM for the extra seat. If it's Windows only, create two Windows VMs, and pass a GPU (and a keyboard and a mouse) to each. Two gaming seats on one physical machine.

I see what you mean don't think my amd cpu will pass the graphics but will look into it thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

I plan to build y second microserver gen8 machine that will be a dedicated plex server and the specs will be:

1. CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240V2

2. Memory: 16GB of DDR3

3. OS: Debian Jessie

4. Sotage: Software Raid5

5. PSU: Standard 200W

As i plan to do a lot of transconding i want to install de dedicated video card and i don't know if 750ti is right for the job since it doesn't have support for H265 transcoding, yes i will be also transcoding 4K@60 to 1080P@30. So i was thinking on buying a GTX 1050, they almost have the same TDP and likewise the size is almost identical. 

What do you think will it fit?

Edited by abpostelnicu

You should be aware that hardware accelerated transcoding is primarily oriented toward realtime use cases, i.e. keep a raw DVD or BR rip (e.g. mplayer -dumpstream), and transcode in realtime to H.264 for consumption on, say, a Chromecast.

For static transcoding, CPU based codecs like libx264 (and libx265) will provide much lower bit rates and much higher visual quality.

Very few media consumption devices have hardware support for H.265. I am not even sure if the Chromecast Ultra (not quite available as yet) supports H.265, or whether it only supports H.264 4K. So if you have H.265 statically encoded video, you'll still end up transcoding it in realtime for consumption on devices that only support H.264.

Also:

- Plex doesn't support hardware accelerated transcoding, this would be purely for your manual static transcoding.

- You would also almost certainly need to compile your own ffmpeg binaries for NVENC support.