RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

P212 256MB vs 512MB Cache for Raid5

abpostelnicu

Hello,

I've installed a Smart Array P212 controller with 256MB a Raid 5 config on 4 Disks, the performance i think it's OK since the purpose of my server is to server a file, mail and http server for home use.

My server configuration is:

CPU: Intel Xenon E3-1240

Ram: 4GB HP Ram

Storage: 4 x 1TB 32MB cache with 7200RPM

Controller: HP Smart Array P212 with 256MB Cache

Storage Setup: Raid5 

My question is if installing a 512MB cache on the raid controller would benefit my setup.

Thank you,

ANdi

I have not compared, but I do not think it would make much difference. It may help in rebuild times. If you are using the battery on the cache module and if you have a UPS on the server, you could play with the write cache settings to speed things up.

• Like 1

I have not compared, but I do not think it would make much difference. It may help in rebuild times. If you are using the battery on the cache module and if you have a UPS on the server, you could play with the write cache settings to speed things up.

I don't have a battery to the controller, I plan on purchasing one, but I have an UPS. Also I've enabled write cache.

By the way what read and write performance should I expect on S-ATA drivers on RAID5? I think it's more of a problem of parity calculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk