RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
usacomp2k3

Shooting the breeze

cskenney

Seems to be a common theme in my house too. Truck engine $5300. Van repairs $1000. My spare car is sitting in the shed and needs a transmission rebuild.

awraynor

Me too. Still need rotors and disc pads. Early next year this car is gone. Geting a little disappointed with Honda lately.

usacomp2k3

Found out just now that I'm going to be getting a new laptop at work next week. Finally. And thanks to WHS, I don't have to worry about my data because it gets backed up almost every evening. Fantastic. Now lets see if my spreadsheets don't bring this thing to its knees

/me crosses his fingers for the core i5 with 8GB RAM and SSD, none of which are likely to happen

Guest no-control

Now lets see if my spreadsheets don't bring this thing to its knees

Uhhh really?! Can I get one of these to use as a benchmarking tool then? tongue.gif

Maybe we shouldn't joke about notepad and paint as bench tools any more dry.gif

the core i5 with 8GB RAM and SSD, none of which are likely to happen

That would be really nice! I want to find a thin and light 15" with an i7, 8GB RAM, SSD, and a switchable discreet GPU that would be spectacular!

usacomp2k3

Uhhh really?! Can I get one of these to use as a benchmarking tool then? tongue.gif

Maybe we shouldn't joke about notepad and paint as bench tools any more dry.gif

Many of my spreadsheets involve multiple worksheets of hundreds of thousands of rows each and dozens of columns, many of them calculations based on the other worksheets. So yeah, I max out my core2duo pretty much daily.

I think having 64-bit alone will make a difference, and I'll have at least 4GB of RAM which helps.

usacomp2k3

Turns out to be an i5 (@~2.6ghz, IIRC) with 4GB RAM and a 7.2k hdd. Not bad at all. They were finishing the image today so should have it Monday.

cskenney

I just got something similar. Dell E6410 w/ i5-M560 @ 2.67 Mhz., 4 GB ram, 250 GB WD Scorpio Black HDD. Much nicer than the Core 2 Duo I had.

usacomp2k3

My goodness is this thing fast. Took most of the morning to get things set back up. For some reason my account kept locking up. Mostly good to go now. Excel does take advantage of the quad core and I can now run some of the analysis that used to crash the system. Very happy about that.

usacomp2k3

Picked up a little something for the little one on the way:

0218112036.jpg

cskenney

For those that may have been following this thread I split off and made a new topic for AJ's new son. Find it Here.