RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
usacomp2k3

Shooting the breeze

i-bystander

I am just messing around with trial versions right now. Stripping down an OS like this is new to me. So far this thing is driving me nuts. I tried to boot off a Linux (Slax) USB stick but that isn't working very well either. I will keep trying because I am determined not to let it defeat me.

Did you check out the forums over there? Try this one, and let me know if it works for you - http://webdt.org/index.php?topic=462.0

dvn

Dl'ing PINGUY now. Mint on steroids sounds interesting.

cskenney

Did you check out the forums over there? Try this one, and let me know if it works for you - http://webdt.org/index.php?topic=462.0

Yeah, I have been on the WedDT forums and I looked at that thread. I actually have it downloaded but have not tried it yet. Comments later in the that topic make me think that people were having mixed success using that image. These devices are pretty particular about the peripherals that you hook up to them (they only have 1 USB port on the tablet).

So my update today is I was successful getting Slax to load off a USB stick. I had a couple of problems that were slowing me down. The main problem was I didn't follow the instructions that said to use a POWERED USB hub. Anyways, once I did that, Slax loaded up. I eventually got the wireless network card to connect as a guest on my network (using WEP) and by then it was VERY, VERY late last night. My main purpose was to verify that everything is working properly (which it seems to be). Now I can move on to trying various OS on it.

I am gonna have to give PINGUY a look. Seems like people are always pointing out more stuff on here that peaks my interest but I have trouble finding enough time to check it all out.

CablDeViL

DVN / CSKenny ,

Post here if you do a full install of PINGUY - I just have the live cd running now, and I am interested to blowing out my gateway laptop with straight Ubuntu 10 and install Pinguy

dvn

Right now, I'm going to burn a DVD and try it live. I'll let you know how that goes.

Alvin Ramard

DYMT?

Does Your Mustache Tickle??? LOL

dvn

OK. Regarding PINGUY, I think it looks pretty good. Running with the live CD, I installed Steam using PlayOnLinux. Then I logged in and dl'd Plants and Zombies and played for a bit. Seemed as smooth as I've ever seen it. Impressive, thus far.

dvn

Today I switched over to Chrome. I'm really liking it so far. It imported all my Firefox bookmarks and passwords. And, it lets me use my 2- and 3-letter shortcuts which a big reason I favored FF over IE. I'm a fan of NoScript on Firefox so I'm not sure how that's going to work out in Chrome. And AdBlock Plus, too. So this will be a new experience, seeing all the great stuff (crap) I've been avoiding. :)

usacomp2k3

Hope you don't block ads on this site :blink:

/me is a big Chrome fan.

Guest no-control

I'm the lonely nerd who hated FF. Chrome was nice. IE9 is great!

I shot the breeze once.....with a .308