RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
usacomp2k3

Shooting the breeze

usacomp2k3

So I feel there needs to be a thread for just randomness. Day-to-day stuff or whatever comes to mind that doesn't necessarily merit an entire thread. So i hereby christen this thread to fill that role.

usacomp2k3

Anyway, today I picked up some new speakers: set of fronts Right, Left, Center from KLH. I'm guessing 3.5" mids and 1" tweeters. The center has dual 3.5's. Paid $20 total off of Craigslist.

I also paid $135 for a Klipsch 12" subwoofer. Boy that thing has kick. I put in the HD-DVD copy of Transformers and played that opening helicopter scene. Our living room is about 20x20 with 25' ceilings and there's more than enough juice in the box to go much louder than is comfortable. My wife told me that I'm not allowed to turn it up that loud again. Perfect!

Dave

My randomness for the day.

I bought one of those battery operated cars for a kid yesterday. It's a 4-wheeler actually and much smaller than those two seater cars they sell for $200. I got it for $5 at a swap meet and had no idea if it worked or not. No charger came with it but the battery was in it.

I hooked the battery up to a slow trickle charge and it maxed out in about 5 minutes so it was completely dead. I rigged up a connector and connected it up to a car battery. I had my 3 year old hit the button while I held the leads and it almost hopped into the air! So, it works, just no battery.

I started hunting around the garage for something to power this thing. I thought about making a trailer and putting a lawn and garden battery on it but soon found my old Makita 9.6 volt drill. I took the battery pack out of it and rigged it into the 4 wheeler. I had a happy 3 year old zooming around the driveway!

The cool thing is I have two battery packs so I can charge while he rides. Now, how to strap the 1 year old on this thing?

cskenney

Dave - When you mentioned car battery I had visions of you and your son showing up on Americas Funniest Home Videos. My daughter has been trying to convince me to buy her (and her brother of course) one of those battery powered cars...I think I will spend the money on a pedal powered bicycle.

My randomness...I bought one of the DT366 (WebDT) handheld tablets from tbowland on our forums. I spent most of Sunday pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to load an OS on this thing. So far I have had no luck with microXP so I am going to try Linux (Slack) later today. What am I gonna do with this thing? Not sure yet...gotta get it working first so I can mess with it.

mrossco

Bought no toys this weekend...wow, that's a first. I did clean out "Buddy" over the weekend. I fixed a bad ground in the electrical, whipped out the shop vac and cleaned out the inside. "Buddy" is a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder SE that I haven't started in over 8 months. After a couple hours on the charger, he started up like a champ! I've had the truck for 10+ years, but I think he's going to charity this week.

i-bystander

My randomness...I bought one of the DT366 (WebDT) handheld tablets from tbowland on our forums. I spent most of Sunday pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to load an OS on this thing. So far I have had no luck with microXP so I am going to try Linux (Slack) later today. What am I gonna do with this thing? Not sure yet...gotta get it working first so I can mess with it.

Did you try a stripped down, nLite'd version of XP? I'd like to play around with one of those too, but will wait until you've had more success. :)

Edited by i-bystander

cskenney

Did you try a stripped down, nLite'd version of XP? I'd like to play around with one of those too, but will wait until you've had more success. :)

I am just messing around with trial versions right now. Stripping down an OS like this is new to me. So far this thing is driving me nuts. I tried to boot off a Linux (Slax) USB stick but that isn't working very well either. I will keep trying because I am determined not to let it defeat me.

Alvin Ramard

There's a thread in another forum that I follow that was started in Nov 2008 that has now become a shooting the breeze type thread. We'll be hitting the 20,000th post just short of the 2 year anniversary for that thread.

usacomp2k3

DYMT?

CablDeViL

WOW found time to post!! Yea Pudding!!!

For all of you Linux fans go try out PINGUY Linux. Its like Mint on steroids. it does everything Ubuntu should do out of the box. I just started to play with the live version on a pc here at work. I usually spend 3 hours configurating Ubuntu to get all the goodies that is standard in PINGUY Linux. On the lighter side of linux if you have an old laptop you want to re-purpose I have been using LUbuntu for my 1998 Stinkpad I use in the garage. Check it out here http://lubuntu.net/.

Whelp back to the grindstone. I hope to see everyone at the podcast tonight!