RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pcdoc

Sophos XG V16 released

Jason

Am back to considering a move from Sophos UTM 9 to XG Home.  Am content with UTM but expect to exceed the 50 IP limit very soon with the addition of more IP cameras.  Though I'm still reluctant to take the plunge to wiping my config and installing Sophos XG Home v17.  Don't have the time and patience to use Band Aid workaround approaches like running another router behind UTM to further reduce the number of client IPs seen by UTM, standing up MS DHCP server, etc.

Unfortunately, don't have spare hardware lying around to do a side-by-side setup of XG (with access to my UTM setup).  Watched pcdoc's YouTube videos - they're exceptional. 

nrf
On 10/25/2017 at 1:24 PM, pcdoc said:

I will be posting some video on my new setup as I plan to start from scratch and walk through it from the beginning.  The new setup wizard is much better than V16 so the initial setup and run is far easier than before.

did I miss a link to these?

Jason
22 minutes ago, nrf said:

did I miss a link to these?

They're on this page.  I just moved to Sophos XG Home v17 and am following this guide to the letter.  No turning back now.

pcdoc

They are on my site. Thedocsworld.net

Jason

Thanks pcdoc! Used your guide to move from UTM 9 to XG. Finally!

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to figure out how to setup LDAP with my WSE12R2 box or, more importantly, Source NAT (SNAT). Tried to follow the Sophos guide on their site for SNAT without success. For example, am trying to route all traffic from my WSE12R2 box out the WAN, originating from a specific static IP issued from my ISP. This was much more straight forward in UTM. Really everything was, but I’m determined to stick with XG at this point.

Jason

Ugh. As I’ve really started to dig in, am afraid XG isn’t quite ready for prime time. Features I’ve taken for granted like QoS, Source NAT rules, etc either don’t function correctly are near impossible to configure. Really wanted to like it. Am intrigued enough though to try and stay current on future versions.

nrf
On 12/31/2017 at 6:11 PM, pcdoc said:

very nice videos! thanks!

figuring out which is port 1 just by trial and error? 

how valuable do you consider the rich feature set for 'at home' users?

pcdoc
On 12/31/2017 at 3:24 PM, Jason said:

Thanks pcdoc! Used your guide to move from UTM 9 to XG. Finally!

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to figure out how to setup LDAP with my WSE12R2 box or, more importantly, Source NAT (SNAT). Tried to follow the Sophos guide on their site for SNAT without success. For example, am trying to route all traffic from my WSE12R2 box out the WAN, originating from a specific static IP issued from my ISP. This was much more straight forward in UTM. Really everything was, but I’m determined to stick with XG at this point.

Have you looked at these:  https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/123295 It may help.

https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/123163

Jason

Oh yes. I was a googling maniac over the holidays. Ultimately couldn’t tolerate the usability gaps I discovered between UTM and XG. At least now I’ll have a better gauge of which key features will entice me to switch in future.

Jason

A common method of working within Sophos UTM's 50 IP limit for home is to put a second router behind the UTM with DHCP enabled.  Double NAT.  This way all traffic coming from the second router will appear as a single IP to Sophos UTM.

In scenario below, how can you enable WSE12R2 Server 192.168.0.5 to communicate directly with IP Camera 192.168.2.9?

Ex. Sophos UTM

LAN IP 192.168.0.1

NM 255.255.255.0

DNS/GW 192.168.0.1

DHCP Range 192.168.0.10-40

WSE12R2 Server 192.168.0.5

Router #2

LAN IP 192.168.2.1

DHCP Range 192.168.2.2-254

IP Camera 192.168.2.9