RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pcdoc

Sophos XG V16 released

nrf

I played with v16 some, was put off by the poor support for initial setup. UTM at least shows you the port numbers with model of nic on the port so you can map out which is wan/lan etc pretty easily from the console. Opnsense was really great on first install - it has an auto-mode where you plug each cable where you want to and it detects the port in realtime. granted you get thru it and move on to more mainstream activities but still I felt for such a feature-laden product it was not very considerate of the poor guy on the floor.  UTM also has the most productive interface to the IPS setup of all the distros I've tried...and we have a wonderful set of guides from our own Drashna... So for the moment I am on UTM but will give v17 a serious look.

I hope there will be some reactions from the early adopters of v17 in the forums soon.

(the server clearly is overkill, I've hit at best 3% busy on it so far with everything turned on.)

Edited by nrf

pcdoc

I will be posting some video on my new setup as I plan to start from scratch and walk through it from the beginning.  The new setup wizard is much better than V16 so the initial setup and run is far easier than before.

• Like 1

nrf

going thru some of the 500+ page reference document, it seems even more 'stuff' has been piled on top of what UTM did. For me, most of the 'stuff' appears useful for enterprises but is overkill in my home. So I will expect the lower levels of protection to be effective and reliable as well as easy to configure. looking forward to hear from early adopters.

Jason

Is Sophos XG Home now at v17 release or still in beta?  While I'm currently on Sophos UTM 9.5, I've been exceeding the 50 IP limit for quite some time.  Now at 110% of capacity.  Would rather use Sophos XG as DHCP server vs. playing games with other methods to work around this limit.

Would def appreciate a setup video before I take the plunge, just to acclimate myself with what's ahead.  Am particularly interested in the NAT and Firewall rules configuration.  I have many, with multiple static IPs on my home network, and want to move ahead and not revert back to Sophos UTM backup.

I must admit, if Sophos UTM 9.5 didn't have a 50 IP limit, I wouldn't even bother switching.

nrf

v17 is official now. I dipped my toe into it. initial setup with the ports is better than last time around. so far I have added my firewall rule to block outgoing smb, set up ntp, and tweaked the IPS rules. So far it seems workable. I have not gotten to the netflix test yet though. still hoping for some contributions of experience here. and the server seems just as much of an overkill here as it was for UTM 9 :)

one oddity, I couldn't get port 2 to work to WAN during setup, had to use port 4 but the means was there to adjust. port 2 is working fine as a lan port, some gremlin I guess. I ended up drawing on a 3x5 for each of the router software products showing which port was named what as I seem to jump around a lot.

anyone else?

Poppapete

Using UT at present.  Changed from Sophos 9 when UT became free for the AV.  Am going to have a go at this by following Doc's videos in a few days time. I will use an old sever I had which is a bit of an overkill but it is 1U so small. I know it will only use 6 of the 8 GB.

CPU

Xeon E3-1230V3 4 cores

System

Supermicro SYS-5018D-MF

RAM

2X4GB ECC DDR3 1600

HDD

Samsung 840 Pro

Jason

For those who have used Sophos UTM 9, how does XG Home compare? Was hoping for a migration tool, but not holding my breath. Has become a running joke on their forums.

nrf

one small difference is it has support for fewer DDNS providers. I had chosen no-ip as it was supported by UT, opnsense, and UTM. many of the UI constructs are logically similar to UTM but look different. in fact everything is "different", not necessarily "better". Still digging thru it. lots to sift thru.

pcdoc
On 11/3/2017 at 12:56 PM, nrf said:

v17 is official now. I dipped my toe into it. initial setup with the ports is better than last time around. so far I have added my firewall rule to block outgoing smb, set up ntp, and tweaked the IPS rules. So far it seems workable. I have not gotten to the netflix test yet though. still hoping for some contributions of experience here. and the server seems just as much of an overkill here as it was for UTM 9 :)

one oddity, I couldn't get port 2 to work to WAN during setup, had to use port 4 but the means was there to adjust. port 2 is working fine as a lan port, some gremlin I guess. I ended up drawing on a 3x5 for each of the router software products showing which port was named what as I seem to jump around a lot.

anyone else?

I know the Netflix issue has been fixed sine 16.5 and has been working fine.  I have not tried on v17 yet as I am still experimenting.  So far there are some nice improvements.

pcdoc
On 11/4/2017 at 6:03 PM, nrf said:

one small difference is it has support for fewer DDNS providers. I had chosen no-ip as it was supported by UT, opnsense, and UTM. many of the UI constructs are logically similar to UTM but look different. in fact everything is "different", not necessarily "better". Still digging thru it. lots to sift thru.

Not sure on your hardware but a long time ago when I built my system, I some confusion with the internal NIC and the quad NIC I used.  I disabled the internal and all was well and logical.  You can also reassign the wan port once you are installed.