RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pcdoc

Sophos XG V16 released

Jason
I3 is a great choice.   Mine has been running on a I5-4570S low power edition but it is way too much.  I rarely get above 10% but that is what I had laying around when I built my firewall.  I am in the process of installing V17 beta on a Core I3 so I can report back hopefully this weekend on how that works out.

Thanks. All 1155 Core i3 are dual core, correct?

pcdoc
52 minutes ago, Jason said:

Thanks. All 1155 Core i3 are dual core, correct?

Yep, dual-core 4 threads.  There are still several good choices available for that platform.  Based on the amount of traffic you have in your house, I would definitely try what you have first before deciding to upgrade.  Look forward to hearing about your experiences.

pcdoc

Got V17 Beta running both in a VM and a Core I3.  Runs pretty well on both but have not been able to tax it too much.  Setup is much easier than it used to be.

Jason
On 10/2/2017 at 9:05 PM, pcdoc said:

Got V17 Beta running both in a VM and a Core I3.  Runs pretty well on both but have not been able to tax it too much.  Setup is much easier than it used to be.

Awesome.  Can't wait to hear about V17 Beta.  I'm currently postponing any move from Sophos UTM 9 until at least V17 production release.  I'll also need to assess whether I should opt for a Core i3 at the same time.

pcdoc

Waiting for the production release makes sense.  From what I have tested (tough limited) it will not take long to see the final release. I am presently working with it as a bridge, I have not seen any major issues with it.  I still have the same complaint on assigning static IP's but other than that the changes are welcomed.

Jason
Waiting for the production release makes sense.  From what I have tested (tough limited) it will not take long to see the final release. I am presently working with it as a bridge, I have not seen any major issues with it.  I still have the same complaint on assigning static IP's but other than that the changes are welcomed.

What about static IPs? Is it an issue they might fix for v17 release?

nrf

happy to announce I got my hands on a 64 bit machine for this project!

dell poweredge T110, 2.6ghz quad core/8 thread xeon, 8gb ecc memory.

I don't much care if it is overkill.

once more into the breach...

Edited by nrf
corrected ecc

Jason

Sophos still insisting their UTM to XG config to migration tool will be available with release of v17.1 in early 2018. Comical. These claims are going on 2 years now.

pcdoc
On 10/16/2017 at 9:06 PM, nrf said:

happy to announce I got my hands on a 64 bit machine for this project!

dell poweredge T110, 2.6ghz quad core/8 thread xeon, 8gb ecc memory.

I don't much care if it is overkill.

once more into the breach...

Congrats. Welcome to the team

pcdoc

V17 just got released.  Available for download on their site.  Does not yet show up as an upgrade on my production box but I will be installing it on some new hardware this week.