Jump to content
RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pcdoc

Sophos XG V16 released

Recommended Posts

pcdoc

Minimum Device requirements from their documentation
x86-64 (64 bit) CPU
2 Network Interface cards
2 GB RAM
10 GB HDD/SSD size 
 

On 9/16/2017 at 2:23 PM, Jason said:

Was thinking of waiting until V17 release? Does OpenVPN work in V16?

Wasn’t sure whether V16 updates to V17 beta to V17 final release also?

 

Yes, it will just download automatically and you can upgrade at will.  This will only work however for GA releases, not beta.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nrf

can you provide a link to that document? even their chatbot can't provide that piece of wisdom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pcdoc
On 9/18/2017 at 9:48 PM, nrf said:

can you provide a link to that document? even their chatbot can't provide that piece of wisdom

Sure.  They have a tremendous documentation library.  HEre is the link for the getting started guide which covers the hardware requirements.  My suggestion, however, is a quad core, 4-6 gigs of RAM, and 40-600 SSD.  It will work on much less but when you start applying IPS, filtering and logging it takes a bit more power.

 

http://docs.sophos.com/nsg/sophos-firewall/v16057/PDF/Sophos Firewall Software Appliance Getting Started Guide.pdf

 

Just downloaded V17 last night and will be installing it on a core I3 and a VM this weekend so I can see how it performs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nrf

that looks like exactly what their bot referred me to. my issue with them is it does not explicitly say 64 bit cpu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason
7 hours ago, pcdoc said:

My suggestion, however, is a quad core, 4-6 gigs of RAM, and 40-600 SSD.  It will work on much less but when you start applying IPS, filtering and logging it takes a bit more power.

 

My current Sophos UTM box is running on a 64-bit Intel Celeron G1610 2.60GHz LGA 1155 Processor (dual core) with 8 GB RAM and a 120 GB SSD.  On a Gigabyte LGA 1155 DDR3 1600 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Motherboard GA-H77N-WIFI.  Am using IPS, logging and filtering in a home environment and the CPU usage seems to stay relatively low. 

 

Should I still upgrade to a quad core?  Would it be possible just to swap this CPU for another on the same motherboard?  That would be ideal if possible before I move forward w/ my install.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pcdoc
10 hours ago, Jason said:

 

My current Sophos UTM box is running on a 64-bit Intel Celeron G1610 2.60GHz LGA 1155 Processor (dual core) with 8 GB RAM and a 120 GB SSD.  On a Gigabyte LGA 1155 DDR3 1600 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Motherboard GA-H77N-WIFI.  Am using IPS, logging and filtering in a home environment and the CPU usage seems to stay relatively low. 

 

Should I still upgrade to a quad core?  Would it be possible just to swap this CPU for another on the same motherboard?  That would be ideal if possible before I move forward w/ my install.

 

No, I would try with what you have.  You should be OK.  If you start taxing it then you can always do a CPU upgrade.  YOu should be good to go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason

Cool! Thanks. Any suggestions on a quad core CPU upgrade I could consider for this existing motherboard for a router specifically? It’s not very old. Hoped to get some more mileage out of it if possible. M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schoondoggy
17 hours ago, nrf said:

that looks like exactly what their bot referred me to. my issue with them is it does not explicitly say 64 bit cpu.

There are posts where people tried to load XG on a 32 bit CPU and it did not work. Even if it did function on a 32 bit CPU, I do not think the CPU would have enough performance to run XG effectively. Your Dimension 8400 probably has a P4 540 which has CPU mark of 375. An Intel J1900 is a popular CPU for firewall appliances with a CPU mark of 1850. It is probably overkill, but i3 seems to be what most are speccing for firewall boxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schoondoggy
15 hours ago, Jason said:

 

My current Sophos UTM box is running on a 64-bit Intel Celeron G1610 2.60GHz LGA 1155 Processor (dual core) with 8 GB RAM and a 120 GB SSD.  On a Gigabyte LGA 1155 DDR3 1600 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Motherboard GA-H77N-WIFI.  Am using IPS, logging and filtering in a home environment and the CPU usage seems to stay relatively low. 

 

Should I still upgrade to a quad core?  Would it be possible just to swap this CPU for another on the same motherboard?  That would be ideal if possible before I move forward w/ my install.

I have that same board, it was the Hackintosh board of choice for many years. Lots of CPU choices:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H77N-WIFI-rev-10#support-cpu

It would be overkill for this application, but you can get i5-2400 for $20-$25. That would get you into 4C4T for a cheap price. Wattage is high, you will need a good fan on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pcdoc

I3 is a great choice.   Mine has been running on a I5-4570S low power edition but it is way too much.  I rarely get above 10% but that is what I had laying around when I built my firewall.  I am in the process of installing V17 beta on a Core I3 so I can report back hopefully this weekend on how that works out.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...