RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pcdoc

Sophos XG V16 released

pcdoc

Could not tell you how to do it exactly with UTM but it should be similar in concept to what I do in XG. What I did is create a firewall rule that allows traffic to and from a specific IP on the different subnet.  I had to do this access to a NAS unit from an isolated network.

Jason
1 minute ago, pcdoc said:

Could not tell you how to do it exactly with UTM but it should be similar in concept to what I do in XG. What I did is create a firewall rule that allows traffic to and from a specific IP on the different subnet.  I had to do this access to a NAS unit from an isolated network.

Thanks pcdoc.  Would you mind sharing how you're doing this currently in Sophos XG?  I should then be able to translate to Sophos UTM being much more familiar with it.

Jason

Actually now trying out Untangle NG HomePro 13.0 for first time after Sophos UTM and XG. Not sure why I haven’t ever tried this platform below. Really liking it. Not to mention the level of reporting detail seems superior to Sophos. The QoS/bandwidth throttling too is very effective and relatively easy to manage. Didn’t realize Untangle.com Account dashboard also communicated with the Home UTM. So far so good. Wish I had tried this sooner.

pcdoc
On 1/5/2018 at 12:49 PM, Jason said:

Thanks pcdoc.  Would you mind sharing how you're doing this currently in Sophos XG?  I should then be able to translate to Sophos UTM being much more familiar with it.

Sorry about the delay in responding be here are the screen shots of how I configured across two separate networks.  This rule connects all of my main network on one sub net to a specific host (IP) on a different network.  In my case I have one rule for one direction.  I have a similar rule that allows the secondary network to contact only one NAS device on my main network.  Everything else is isolated.  Hope that helps.

SNAG-0011.png

SNAG-0012.png

Jason

Although somewhat off topic, have recently migrated away from Sophos UTM 9 to XG. Unsuccessfully.

Subsequently, I tried Untangle NG 13.0 (now 13.2) for first time. Am very impressed with the platform, but equally their professionalism, communication on new features and updates, webinars and Live Support. For home user licenses! It’s night and day. From virtually zero support and a relatively weak user community (outside of Reset forum) to a company that treats a paying home customer like a small business.

Seriously, I am not employed or paid by Untangle.

snapper
On 25/01/2018 at 5:44 PM, Jason said:

Although somewhat off topic, have recently migrated away from Sophos UTM 9 to XG. Unsuccessfully.

Subsequently, I tried Untangle NG 13.0 (now 13.2) for first time. Am very impressed with the platform, but equally their professionalism, communication on new features and updates, webinars and Live Support. For home user licenses! It’s night and day. From virtually zero support and a relatively weak user community (outside of Reset forum) to a company that treats a paying home customer like a small business.

Seriously, I am not employed or paid by Untangle.

Good call!

UTM is giving me an issue with IPSec so before reinstalling I thought I would take a look at XG, popping here to see what the latest low-down is...

A few years back, I tried Untangle 12 but stayed with UTM; have to try the new UT13...

Had a quick look at the prices, see its still $50 per year but disappointed that AntiVirus is the lite version for home now; for the full version its an extra $108 :(

nrf

I'm now preparing a XG machine. I have enjoyed pcdoc's postings including a video for vpn setup. I'm going to take my time with it and cutover when I am confident in the setup. I may also use some of drashna's material to augment my xg setup :) 

it would have been nice to use the promised utm->xg conversion tool but doing it the hard way should be educational.

Once again I am appreciative of the support available in this community.

pcdoc

Glad to hear you are taking the plunge. At the end of the road I think you the happy. If you have not seen them I also did some VLAN IOT stuff on my YouTube channel. Good luck!

Jason

Will be anxious to track this. I recently tried v16 and, like many, found it rather weak compared to UTM 9. Wanted to stick it out but lacked the patience. All a matter of personal preference.

Ended up going with Untangle v13 and love it. Was initially to overcome the 50 IP limit but have since found the bandwidth control feature and tech support exceptional. Seems I’m grandfathered into receiving support so have taken advantage of it. Their support community and forums are also great.

nrf

So, a question on directionality... for opening a port, I think of this as related to incoming connection requests. How is MASQ related there?  And for the IPS, would you want WAN to LAN or  LAN to WAN templates?