RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pcdoc

Sophos XG V16 released

Jason

Will be anxious to hear your results. Not ready to take plunge from UTM 9.4 yet. Will be an undertaking to start my configuration from scratch.

pcdoc

I spun it up quickly in a VM and it looks quite nice.

Planning to try it properly as soon as i get a moment - just need to work out why the WAN vSwitch is causing the cable modem to lock onto another MAC rather than the first VM DHCP request...

I think once you start using it you will find it quite nice especially if you have used the prior version of XG.  Not only do i run it at home we have have finished 2 separate deployments and are working on the 3rd at work.  I obviously really like it.

nrf

seems you have my interest piqued. I have seen a navigation article and one on firewall rules. have you gone to the point of malware and ad blocking without interfering with services like netflix?

pcdoc

seems you have my interest piqued. I have seen a navigation article and one on firewall rules. have you gone to the point of malware and ad blocking without interfering with services like netflix?

I did cover a little bit in my rules article and it is added to the chart I did but basically Netflix works great with all the filtering in place so there is no issue there but antivirus still Has to be disabled for iOS/android devices. What I did which works well is create a rule which has all the filtering in place but antivirus disabled for the iOS/android devices. To me the main thing is now the filtering does block these devices which used to be an issue on some of the earlier versions. There are other features such as exceptions which I have not tried but truthfully once you set the rule you will not have to worry.

Here is the chart rule:  http://thedocsworld.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Network-User-Rules.jpg

It is the first entry.

Jason

Been waiting for V18 but may have no choice but to migrate from Sophos UTM. Simply now have too many devices. Operating at 110% of allowable IPs. Was a matter of time.

pcdoc

Welcome aboard. It only hurts a little. 

Jason

Was thinking of waiting until V17 release? Does OpenVPN work in V16?

Wasn’t sure whether V16 updates to V17 beta to V17 final release also?

pcdoc

There is a native VPN client that is based on OpenVPN that works great. I use it every day.  It ties nicely into the firewall rules and is more part of the system.  OpenVPN clients can also use it and it works with all mobile apps.

• Like 1

Jason

Saw they also just released the V17 beta will an extensive list of bug fixes. Looks promising. Not sure when final release is planned. Am going to start snapping screen shots of my current config in Sophos UTM as it has changed quite a bit since I’ve last done this. Ramping up....

nrf

for the xg 'home' version, do they support x86? I used to not worry about this issue until I lost my microserver...

thanks!