pcdoc

Sophos XG V16 released

pcdoc

They just released V16 to Sophos XG and it is very different.  The interface has been totally revamped and much easier to use.  Also added rule clone and many other features that make it easier to use.

nrf

thanks, I'll be waiting for someone here to describe positive experience with it before I touch it.

pcdoc

thanks, I'll be waiting for someone here to describe positive experience with it before I touch it.

Understandable.  I set mine up a few days ago and it is quite different.  I did a short blog on it yesterday that only touches the surface.  They definitely put some work into it.  If you interested in seeing the navigation, here is a link to my post.

http://thedocsworld.net/sophos-xg-v16-navigation/

Dave

I may have to pull my N54L off the "for sale" list in order to play with this a bit. Looks cool.

Jason

Do they have an upgrade or config migration path from Sophos UTM 9.4 to XG yet?

pcdoc

Do they have an upgrade or config migration path from Sophos UTM 9.4 to XG yet?

Good question but I am not sure what the answer is.  There was some early discussion on migration tools but I have not seen any recent mention of it.  I am guessing that it is not a direct upgrade as the architecture is very different.  Sorry do not have a good answer but if I run across anything I will post it.

I may have to pull my N54L off the "for sale" list in order to play with this a bit. Looks cool.

You should try it.  Much improved.

itGeeks

Understandable.  I set mine up a few days ago and it is quite different.  I did a short blog on it yesterday that only touches the surface.  They definitely put some work into it.  If you interested in seeing the navigation, here is a link to my post.

http://thedocsworld.net/sophos-xg-v16-navigation/

Mike thanks for the update, As always you did a great job on your blog explaining it and as Dave said it "looks cool" and as much as the geek in me wants to try it I am going to shy away from it, It's still very much an enterprise product and only people with a understanding of this stuff can deploy it and lets face it I am not going to be around forever so I am at a point I need a good product that as they say grandma and grandpa can setup. I don't want my family and friends to be out in the cold with there networks when I am not around anymore to support them and as we know Sophos will not support them either under the current terms of the 'home user license' Untangle will but even that is not for someone that does not know anything about routers and firewalls and that's y I have a heavy eye on products like Synology router and the new bread of wireless mesh products. Please don't get me wrong I love the protection you get from Sophos/Untangle but I have to start thinking ease of use with security for my friends and family.

nrf

I don't provide solutions for other than my immediate family - I find that challenging enough. My must-haves in the area include more protection than simple nat/firewall, automated update process for both code and threat data, and no screaming in the house. Unfortunately it seems no single solution can satisfy me indefinitely. Besides seeing the ui screens I am interested in knowing via hands on reviews if I can block malware, advertising, etc. yet still watch netflix, be it on a pc or a phone.

I look forward to further reviews etc. Maybe this solution will be worth trying by the time I get let down by my current solution.

pcdoc

I can certainly attest to its ability to block unwanted content. I will continue my experimenting with it but I feel in its basic form it is now as easy as anything else to setup. You can certainly go under the hood if you want to but every firewall with content blocking will require some setup. As for concern about the family and issues, I no longer worry about that as it really has been more robust than other solutions i have tried in the past. All the filters, antivirus, and rules update every two hours and even the firmware is painless. I have had far more issues with conventional routers and keeping them current than this, Even the old version was stable despite being a bit of a pain setting up. Everyone has to find that sweet spot and comfort level but i just wanted to point that they have indeed made this much easier to use. It is not the Circle, but they are heading in right direction.