RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to backup EFI partition on Clients

xPETEZx

Hey Guys,

Recently converted a PC I have from using BIOS to UEFI for boot.

That all went well. However I have noticed that when this PC is backed up using WSE 2012R2 I cannot select to backup the EFI partition.

If I restore this PC, all I can select is the C:\ partition, after which I get a message saying something to the effect that this system use to be bootable, but no boot partition has been selected for restore do I want to continue?

When I select to add/remove items to the backup, the EFI partition is not there to select.

I checked on another system which has always been EFI, and same problem there. The Recovery partition is backed up, but not the EFI partition.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers

I did a test restore, and as expected the system could not boot.

I manually re-created the EFI partition and managed to get the system to boot fine.

However, if possible I would prefer if the EFI partition could just be restored as part of the System Image.

Appreciate anybody who has pointers.

Cheers

Many failed restores using Microsoft WHS2011/WSE2012 is y I no longer use them for my 'bare metal' backup and restore anymore. I now use 'Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE' and it works great, Several restores of both legacy/UEFI systems without a problem, You can even setup email notification. Veeam claims the product will be free for life. https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

Another product some have switched to is Acronis but I have never used it and its not free like Veeam http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/

In closing you and I are not the only ones having problems with MS backup by any means, My humble opinion is stop using it and migrate to a different solution that works.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for response.

I love the setup WSE has, over traditional backup solutions. (IE server based rather than client just dumping files to a NAS / File Share) I like the fact I can PXE boot a system and start the restore that way.

I only have 2 of my 6 systems on EFI boot, so I am going to stick with WSE for now.

Saved a hard copy of the instructions for re-creating it, and will use that. Going to do another couple test restores. Make sure I am happy this process would work in a disaster case.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Odd, I've had it create the EFI partition on restore to a new drive....

Worst case, add Windows 8/10 to WDS (both boot and install image), and start an installation. When it reboots, run the restore, and it should restore to matching partitions and boot fine.