RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

B120i No storage disk

wiruzdk

I installer It on a USB drive and it World fine and boot into esxi but i vant ADD Any storage cause it vant find any hard drives

After watching the video you linked to above, I assume he has more than one storage controller in his system. He starts to set up virtual disks for testing, then he mentions an LSI controller he has 16 drives attached to. He sets the LSI to pass-through to the xpenology VM so all disks are available to xpenology. This will also allow SMART data from the drives to get to DSM. When you set a device to pass-through, it and all of its resources are dedicated to that VM.

I am not an ESXi expert by any means. I would recommend you post this question on a vmware forum, but from everything I have read, you need at least two storage controllers in a server to do what you are trying to do.  

i just bought myselft a hp p212 raid controller and used it with the gen 8 server and passthrough the controller but stil it wont show up in the xpenology server.. what am i doing wrong ???

i made a video to show you how it looks.

How many drives do you have connected to the P212 and how did you configure them?

If I had to guess, I think Xpenology is expecting to see individual drives. A controller that supports true JBOD, like a properly configured LSI, will just show drives to the OS. The P212 will look like a RAID controller to the OS. You can try to set each drive on the P212 to a single drive RAID0. This will make them look like single drives, but it will not pass SMART data to Xpenology.

Another thing you could try now that you have the P212, use the P212 for your ESXi storage and put the on-board controller in AHCI with the disks you want Xpenology to see and set it to pass-through. Basically swap the P212 and the on-board SATA controller. Make sure you up data the P212 to the latest firmware.

Running the latest SPP iso will update everything. I don't have a link to download, but I think there is a thread with a link in it.

Could you please answer my other questions?