Small home or apartment.
500-1500 square feet.
Two.
Medium home.
1500-3000 square feet.
Three.
Large home.
3000-4500 square feet.

Wi-Fi managed for you with Network Assist.
Keeps itself fast.
Network Assist is intelligent software built into Google Wifi to provide you with the fastest possible speed. Behind the scenes, Network Assist automatically helps you avoid Wi-Fi congestion, and transitions you to the closest Wi-Fi point for the best signal.
Speed coach.
Network Assist will offer suggestions on how to optimize performance, like where to move a Google Wifi point for faster speeds or providing data so you can adjust your ISP plan.
Control what matters.
A simple app.
The Google Wifi app gives you total control over your network. Easily share your Wi-Fi password, see what devices are online, and prioritize them for better performance.
Family Wi-Fi pause.
Google Wifi’s family controls allow you to pause the signal to your children’s devices, like at bedtime or dinnertime.

Did I mention mesh?

https://support.google.com/onhub/answer/7168220

Google Wifi is built on our new mesh Wi-Fi technology. Within our mesh network, each Google Wifi point creates a high-powered connection, and they work together to determine the best path between points for your data.

The result is fast Wi-Fi everywhere in your house, not just right next to the router. You can even roam throughout the house while on a video call or while streaming a movie without the signal dropping.

OnHub investors are not left out in the cold.

OnHub and Google Wifi will work together. So if you have an OnHub and need more coverage, simply add a Wifi point to your existing network and -- voila -- you now have amesh Wi-Fi network.

Look for an email from us later this year announcing when your OnHub will be ready for Google Wifi.

My take on it is the design looks nice but the specs are lacking. Some call it an entry level device and by looking at what limited specs are available I would say that's correct.

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-wifi-router-announced-release-date-specs-2016-10

1. For one I wonder y Google decided to use AC1900 and a 2x2 antenna design?

2. They don't say if the wireless is SU-MIMO or MU-MIMO, My best guess based on a 2x2 is its simply SU-MIMO

3. Looks like there is no 3rd dedicated radio for the wireless mesh and no indication it supports Ethernet backhaul, This is very disappointing to me.

4. When important specs are left out it raises red flags with me.

5. From what I can see this is not the device your going to want to put in a household with many wireless devices reinforcing (entry level) system, With the lack of a 3rd dedicated radio for the nodes and no Ethernet backhaul it will share one of the two radios with all your devices and as we know performance will suffer somewhere between 30-50% for each hop. I will probably get flamed by someone here for my post and my thoughts but the specs or lack of are all I have to go on rite now. Google Specs found towards the bottom of this link https://store.google.com/product/google_wifi

Like the others I guess time will tell how it fairs with others.

itGeeks, how do you think it will compare to the Amplifi HD?  I have the Amplifi on back order and and wondering if I should cancel it.

Both are SU-MIMO, neither has a third channel, google uses AC1900 and Amplifi uses AC1300, the HD is 3X3 vs Google's 2X2.

• 3 months later...

I have been using google wifi since it was release and love it.  I have confirmed with google support that Ethernet backhauling is supported. The issue is they do not have anything in the  application that indicates that the AP is connected to the Ethernet so you can not confirm unless you have a managed switch or do some package captures which i have not done yet. They said they would be adding it to the app soon.  Believe me I had several email exchanges over this.

• Like 1

I've got ethernet backhaul set up on one of secondary nodes.  The speed is now the same as the primary node, but that is the only way for me to know that the ethernet backhaul is actually working.

• Like 1

Today I installed 3 UniFi AC-Lite access points in my 3100 sq ft. home. Except for one unit which is a bit flaky (going back for an exchange) I have complete blanket wifi coverage. Awesome internal bandwidth with my NAS server, solid connectivity. And to think this all cost 1/2 the price of an eero. And for me not being able to run ethernet to the two remote locations, can't get any better than this.