RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Problems with i3 3240 and booting from SD Card

waroffice

Afternoon chaps,

I have read so much of this forum now I'm not sure what is still relelvant.

I have the G1610T with a celeron CPU (urrrgh) it has served me well as a plex media server for the last couple of years, running debian from an SD Card.
  While reading about upgrading it I found you can install the i3 3240 CPU so I purchased one, but I cannot get it to boot.

With my ECC RAM that came with the Gen8 that works fine on the Celeron I get to 20% POST tests (doing all this in iLO console as no vga monitor).  If I uses some corsair XMS3 RAM from another machine I get stuck at 90%

With the Celeron back in after updating the iLo to 2.44 and bios to latest (as far as i can tell) I cannot boot from the SD Card anymore.  This card seems to work fine as I have tested it in my laptop and run fsck on it with no issues, I can read the data (promptly made a clone of it just in case)

Can anyone point me in the right direction, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks all

Dean

I don't think it's the SD card that causes your Gen8 not to boot. I think it's the Corsair XMS3 Ram. Just use a tested RAM and try to boot.

I don't think it's the SD card that causes your Gen8 not to boot. I think it's the Corsair XMS3 Ram. Just use a tested RAM and try to boot.

I have tested every possible combination I have at the moment, could be a faulty CPU I guess

I have rebooted the server a few times while installing the CPU, I will try a new card with a clone of the OS and maybe a USB Drive too

You need to power of the server and unplug it.

I managed to solve both my problems.

SD Card issues:

the problem was the BIOS upgrade changed the SATA controller to the RAID card and not the standard sata controller, this knocked off the sd card reader and the internal usb port.

CPU:

The chip was second hand, it had a tiny bit of thermal paste on the bottom (not my doing), a bit of isopropyl alcohol later and it booted fine

Thanks guys

• Like 1