RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

gen8 help

Kristianv

hi all.

im new to servers and such. ive been running a n36l for a while now with 8gb of ram and a video card with hdmi. 

but its been a bit funny lately so i picked up a gen8 g1610 for next to nothing. im going to upgrade the ram and add a gfx card with a hdmi.

i run it as a dual file server and htpc for my bedroom, im looking for help in the best way to set this up. to just run as a basic file server and htpc box (some light web browsing). 

cheers in advance 

I guess it depends what OS you would like to put on it. I can tell you about my setup. I have it running under Ubuntu Server, and I have on it Plex Media Server. In TV I have ChromeCast. I also have RaspberryPi with RasPlex installed. I prefer this to graphic card, as server can be placed wherever not just next to TV. Also new TV's support HDMI-CEC which means that you can use your original TV's remote control to browse media etc. You can also use plex mobile phone app for the same purpose. Plex server will also enable you to play your media to all your devices like cell phone or tablet. (No light browsing in this setup :) )

I can recommend installing a Xeon and running ESXI. Passthrough  a videocard - and you'll get a nice desktop/htpc, while you can run several other OS in the background (NAS, webserver, etc.)

I would love to go to a xeon but cost is a factor,

i cant find any of these cpus here in australia for anything under $350.

my n36 ive just got set up with windows 7 and on my network, 90 percent of the time it just sits here as a server it will play tv shows when i go to be and does that for about 3hours a week. 

do these always run the set up when you boot were it boot cycles while checking.