RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

P222 Question

strux

I'm waiting for P222 card I ordered, and I was just wandering something. 

Basically I'm trying to figure out a best way to configure arrays. I was thinking of these two approaches..

A ) To have 3 HDD in Raid 5 and have 4th SSD as single drive raid 0 array. That way I can have everything on P222 and avoid connecting SSD to ODD.

B ) To use external Mini-SAS SFF-8088 to 4 x SATA and have also Raid 5 SSD. Where I would bring cables back in and use maybe schoondoggy drive mount to mount 3 SSD. So end result would be 2 x raid 5, one with drives other with SSD and everything would be contained in the case.

Do you see any issues with these two approaches? Maybe I'm missing something. I find it hard to find P222 manuals after hp and hpe site split

Thanks

Edited by strux

You can also use the internal controller as AHCI or B120i in addition to the P222. 

Connect internal P222 to the internal bays(four drive RAID5) , leave external port of the P222 for future expansion. Add breakout cable to motherboard connector, configure as AHCI, connect port 1 to SSD.

Same as above, but set internal SATA controller to B120i, connect boot/OS SSD to ODD and configure as single drive RAID0. Mount four 9.5MM HDD/SSD to SDM and run as RAID10 on B120i.

What OS are you running?

What are you going to use the server for? 

I'm running Ubuntu Server 16.04 on it. I upgraded CPU to 1265LV2 on it few days ago. I'm using it as media centre, game server, web hosting for my own projects, owncloud hosting, mail server, web mail server, and it also measure my house's temperature and humidity by interfacing it via arduino and sensor over USB :) I might put few VMs on it for experimentation and stuff, so I don't mess up with main OS whenever I would like to try stuff.

I was thinking about B120i but I thought that P222 external port might do a better job, as I don't plan to use it for external drive cage, it would take more space then I would like. And I could add 4th disk to Raid if needed in future. My understanding is that B120i does not provide real hardware raid but rather software one. So in that case i would prefer linux software raid (mdadm) which might be safer recovery option if something goes wrong. 

The B120i is not hardware RAID, it is HP firmware using the Intel SATA ports, but it is fully compatbile with the HP hardware RAID cards. Any RAID set you would create on a B120i will migrate to the P222 if you wanted to later. The P222 will give you hardware RAID on all 8 ports. 

I see. Thanks for clarifications. Its cool that it is compatible. btw. Great job on drive bracket! I'll contact you off thread related to it.

Edited by strux

• 3 weeks later...

I installed SDM-R3 yesterday and P222. I'm still waiting on disks so I just wanted to prepare everything. I installed 30mm 9500RPM fan into SDM that should provide circulation for P222. I dont have disks attached to P222 I'm waiting for some disks before I migrate. What I noticed is that temp in ILO is 64C and Array Configuration diag is giving me 54-55C chip temp. That is upper range per specs for smart array. I have case fan as normal speed. 30mm fan is loud enough... My question is can I expect to get higher temps once drives are attached? And if this temp is acceptable long term?

PS I also noticed that P222 alone increased power consumption for about 10W (measured on Smart UPS, so might not be precise). That is quite significant in my opinion, considering that I was seeing about 40W for entire system without it with 1625L2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk