RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

T20: Only 1.64TB of 4TB WD HDD can be used

t20_user

Folks,

I have no idea what to do and need your help. I just installed Windows 7 Pro SPI 64-bit on the 1TB drive that comes with the T20. I used the Legacy Boot option to be able to install the OS. This HDD is MBR. Now I added 2 4TB WD disks to the system to use them as storage disks. I converted them to GPT using Disk Part to be able to use the 4TB capacity. In the BIOS POST screen, they do show up as 3.6TB drives. However, after I start Windows and go into Disk Manager, I see only 1.64TB capacity in both disks. I tried to use EaseUs and MiniTool Partition Wizard to change the sizes but neither worked. Both softwares show a maximum of 1.7TB capacity for these disks and do not allow me to increase the sizes.

I updated BIOS to A04

I tried to switch boot mdoe to UEFI and unchecked Legacy ROM but then the system does not boot saying there is no bootable disk. I have to keep using Legacy mode. Is this the issue with the disk sizes? Should my OS drive also have to be GPT to match the storage drives? But with GPT, I cannot install Windows 7.

What should I do to fix this issue? I am completely confused and would appreciate your help. Please guide me step by step.

It should not matter, but please check to see if Windows 7 installed as 32 or 64 bit?

Was there anything on the drives prior to installing in the T20?

Can you post a screen shot of your Disk Management screen?

With 4TB drives, when you see 1.6TB mentioned it tends to have something do with a 2TB MBR partition issue. 2TB + 1.6TB = 3.6TB (4TB)

Thank you very much Schoondoggy. It was the Intel rapid storage driver. After I updated it, both HDDs show 3.726TB capacity in both Intel software and Windows disk management. Thanks a lot.

So it may help others facing the same issue, the latest driver link is here. The IATA_ENU.exe is the bottom download in this page.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22036/IRST-Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

Edited by t20_user
  • Like 2