RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ML10v2, no video using a Displayport to HDMI adapter

xrc3527

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a new ML10v2 and I have some problems with it. After searching in Google for a while I found this forum and I saw that you guys could help me.

The thing is that after opening the box and starting plugging everything I was like where is the VGA port in here, that was the time I realized that those 2 thing on top of the USB ports were Displayport connectors, and I don't have any Displayport monitor around. My plan is to run this thing headless, just install some Linux (I'm used to Debian, but if another option is easier to implement I'm open to other distributions) and use it as a VPN server and File server.

So I bought a Displayport to HDMI adapter online. I plug it on a HDMI screen and there is no signal.

IMG_20161002_135943.jpg

So I don't know if my adapter is bad or I'm doing something wrong. Here are some photos of the adapter I'm using.

IMG_20161002_140023.jpg

IMG_20161002_140055.jpg

IMG_20161002_140045.jpg

Am I missing something? Is my adapter bad? Is there a way to install the OS without a monitor?

Thank you for the help.

Hi again,

I tried another way. I pulled the disk on the server and I installed Debian on another computer using the disk from the ML10. Then after the system was installed I plug it back and turn on the server. It does not boot to the Linux, because I cannot see the SSH server that I configured with the other computer.

Is there any menu on the boot sequence of the server? Something I have to press on the keyboard in order to make it boot to the OS?

Thanks

Another try, this time I installed a graphics card that works perfectly on another computer and plugged it on the PCI Express slot.

Same result, no video and no boot. Maybe the PCI card needs to be activated on the BIOS.

I talked with the person who sold me the server, she said that with a converter it should work. Tomorrow we will check a converter that works on the server. I guess mine is not good.

I hope the converter works, because I´m running out of options...

I would try booting from a different source. If you have not updated the BIOS and firmware yet, I would make a USB boot drive with the SPP image. Then you can see if it boots, check the video and update everything.

Hi schoondoggy,

Thanks for your reply, I'm downloading the newest SPP image now. It will take a while and it's already late in here. So tomorrow I will load it into a USB and try to boot with it.

Does the SPP image install automatically? Just plug the USB and turn the server on and no need to press anything? If I need to press something I will have to do it blind...

Sorry for asking too much. It will be my first time using SPP. And I'm more a software guy than a hardware guy.

Sorry for the late reply, it's already Friday morning here.

I'm getting nothing at all, no POST, no OS, since I start the server the only thing I get is No Signal.

I'm thinking my Displayport adapter is broken or it is not compatible with this server. I have no idea how Displayport works, it is the first time I touch one, but I guess it must be similar to HDMI.

Then I guess I will order one of those then.

Do you have any brand or model that you know it works? I prefer to order something that works and have it delivered, better than trial and error. I currently live in a kind of remote area (for computer stores).

Is the Display port on the ML10V2 a new thing, sure mine has a VGA port.

Have you tried using ilo, if you have DCHP on your network it should pick up an address (so you don't need a screen to configure anything), and you could look in your router to see what address it's pick up.

• Like 1