RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

is it practical to have a server like dl380 g6 at home?

nrf

there is no specific forum for this part of hp's product line, so I chose this one at 'random'...

so I see these rack servers refurbished at reasonable prices, with dual xeon and 6gb ram, lots of fans, and huge power supply...

is it practical to add disk drives to one of these? do they make so much noise they would be banned to a basement?

thanks for any info...

It all depends on how you are going to use it. For a standalone system, no way. For a VM host, absolutely.  The only other drawback to these systems is thew power consumption. which I would estimate to be in the $15/month range.

I have looked at them myself.  I haven't had any rack servers in over a decade.  The ones I had wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the fans.  That goes for a lot of enterprise/small business gear.  I have a 24 port Dell managed switch.  I don't have it plugged in only because of the fan noise.  I have noticed in recent years that the fans are lot of more quiet.  At least in the aftermarket fans.  I built some new gaming computers for some friends this summer.  I was surprised how quiet the fans that were recommended to me at Microcenter were.  I actually went back and bought some to replace the ones in my computers.

Other members here have said that the noise of a Dell R710 (for example) isn't terrible.  One even commented that their window a/c unit was louder.  I did a search in youtube out of curiosity for fan noise.  I found this link.

The others were people showing how you can replace the fans with ones that are more quiet.  In my experience unless you are using 10k and 15k drives.  Drive noise is the least noisy thing in a server or a nas.  I use all WD Red drives.  They are far more quiet than my 7200 rpm WD RE drives that I have had for years.  I have been replacing them with reds.  Just due to their noise and age.

thanks for the info. anyone have actual experience with this model? for example, do I have to buy disks from the vendor or can I stick in sata drives from my inventory?

advantages I see for it include:

• multiple NICs builtin
  • room for lots of disks
  • significant monitoring abilities
  • ability to accept large amounts of RAM and several reliability configurations for the ram
  • dual xeon

so far disadvantages may be

• high power needs
  • noisy fans but I think I can play with that dimension

​I wonder how it compares to the 'superserver' for multiple VMs

Yes, you can use your SATA drives where the original SAS drives would have been.  One thing that might be a show stopper is finding "affordable" RAM to beef it up to where you need to be.  I had one of these refurbed servers for about a year and eventually went with the SuperMicro (D-1541) versions. 

I still have the DL385G6 server (2xXeon 2.66GHz) with 64 gigs of RAM if you are interested.

interesting video. the first one sounds like a vacuum cleaner. should I go down this path it would need to be located 'out of sight'. 

The most I've dealt with at any one time was about 75 and yes it is very loud not to mention the AC noise in the background.  That's why God made IPMI.

Don't forget about the noise from the racks of switches and raid arrays.  The largest I was in was a couple hundred (a good guess) not including the switches and drive arrays.  I bet you couldn't hear a heavy metal band playing in there.