RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New server build

Scotaidh

Hi everyone. I'm new here, and looking for some advice. I'm going to replace my current home server (i5 650 4GB HP Elite 8100 deskop running WHS2011) that I am using for basic file storage and run a few apps on (Minecraft server, Karen's replicator).

I have Windows Server 2012 Essentials or Standard available to me (Dreamspark Student) and have a couple of different machines I can use. I have a AMD FX 6300 and a Intel i7 920 available. Ram I have, drives I have. My question is power consumption and ease of use. I'm not afraid of going to Domain with Server 2012. It will be a learning curve but I'll get over that, as I feel it will be a better experience down the road. I'm just wondering what kind of suggestions anyone can make. I know the Intel is 130W processor, but that's under full load, and would probably be a more capable choice. This is a home setup, and will probably spend most of its 365 a year just idling.

Do I stay with WHSv2 or make the jump, and whats my best bet to run it on.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi everyone. I'm new here, and looking for some advice. I'm going to replace my current home server (i5 650 4GB HP Elite 8100 deskop running WHS2011) that I am using for basic file storage and run a few apps on (Minecraft server, Karen's replicator).

I have Windows Server 2012 Essentials or Standard available to me (Dreamspark Student) and have a couple of different machines I can use. I have a AMD FX 6300 and a Intel i7 920 available. Ram I have, drives I have. My question is power consumption and ease of use. I'm not afraid of going to Domain with Server 2012. It will be a learning curve but I'll get over that, as I feel it will be a better experience down the road. I'm just wondering what kind of suggestions anyone can make. I know the Intel is 130W processor, but that's under full load, and would probably be a more capable choice. This is a home setup, and will probably spend most of its 365 a year just idling.

Do I stay with WHSv2 or make the jump, and whats my best bet to run it on.

Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to the Forums.  When you get a chance please introduce yourself http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/344-welcome-to-homeservershowcom-forums-introduce-yourself-here/page-29#entry121430

A lot depends on your personal preferences and objectives.

I've chosen to stick with WHS2011 but have moved from the N54L to the i7-930 platform (see my Sig below).  With the RAM maxed out -- Moving to the i7-930 was almost a religious experience in the huge jump in responsiveness/performance for me.  With StableBit Drivepool & Scanner and Crashplan it has been very stable and has met my needs for now.  When possible I want to do the Full-FoShay.  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20Full%20Fo-Shay  I do experiment with WS2012R2 and WS2012R2E on different machines/platforms to teach myself about them but for now, for my production home server, I'm sticking to my WHS2011 on my i7-930.  Running a X58 with a 930 is a power hog compared to more modern boards and CPU's but the sunk costs in my x58 make it the better choice for now for me.  For production I tend to favor high reliability and ease of use (high WAF - Wife Acceptance Factor).

I for one miss my 2011 setup when I have to do a BMR. on 2011 it was a 20-30 minute operation, with 2012r2 it takes like 6 hours (240 gig c: only and a SSD to boot)

• 2 weeks later...

I for one miss my 2011 setup when I have to do a BMR. on 2011 it was a 20-30 minute operation, with 2012r2 it takes like 6 hours (240 gig c: only and a SSD to boot)

That's .... odd.  For me, restores have been quicker than WHS2011/SBS2011E.