RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Connecting a printer to WHS

dvn

So I tried installing a printer (HP PSC 1610 alll-in-one) on WHS, but the installation hung, and I had to kill the process after waiting a reasonable amount of time. I then ran the install in compatibility mode, first XP, then 2000. Both of these hung and I had to kill those processes as well.

So I figured I'd have to forget about using my printer from WHS. *2003 drivers were not available from HP's site.

But, the short story is that the printer actually did install. I was able add it to my w7 machine and print from it. And other computers on the network can do this as well.

If I remember correctly there was a podcast discussion a while back where the consensus was that using WHS as a print server was a no-go, or at least a major hassle.

So I was wondering:
Who has a printer connected to WHS?

Any thoughts as to why the printer tripped over the install, yet works?

I have a Brother MFC-885CW. It includes a wireless connection. So I set to a static IP address and am able to reach it from my EX490. I installed Apple's Bonjour interface, this helped find the printer on the network. Then I installed internet printing from Add/Remove Programs, so now I can print remotely. I added the Brother web interface to check the status of the printer.

The problem is that I was NOT able to get the scanner or fax machine part working on the server.

You should be able to use XP drivers http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=390315#

Then add the printer and point to the XP drivers. Or you could try running the installer but change the properties Compatiblity tab and choose XP.

John (homeservershow).

HP is going to be a hard one to do with the WHS. I have a Canon that I was able to find Server 2003 drivers for. The hard part about this is that HP has a crap ton of bloat-ware that installs when you run form the included disk or the download from their website. You can try to get just the Windows XP driver from their site, unpack it and us the device manager to install the printer using the .inf file.

JR