RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD Migrate 60GB to 500GB SSD

brianscrivener

Just checking with you guys would it be ok to transfer/clone a 60GB SSD to new 500GB SSD would this affect the Raid? Or settings etc? If it's ok to clone and upgrade the OS SSD. What software would you recommend me to download?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have cloned boot drives and not had any problems with Raid/Storage spaces  etc afterwords

but its always a good idea to have a backup before messing with drives

Macrium reflect  is good for both the backup and cloning operations

• Like 1

Well i tried to clone 60Gb to 500gb and it failed says mismatched he's in drive bay 5.. followed the instructions so setting up new 500gb sad with new os and hopefully will still be able to get into the other drives as had them in a raid 0 jbob configuration.. fingers crossed :( not having much luck with my server

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a way to access the hard drives if it fails to see it in windows?

Are you trying to clone this drive in your server that has RAID? I would not try and do that, Take the drive out of your server and do all the cloning either in a Hard drive dock or use a SATA to USB cable and connect it to a stand alone computer to get the job done. As Al said make sure you have a good backup of the old drive before doing anything.

Are you trying to clone this drive in your server that has RAID? I would not try and do that, Take the drive out of your server and do all the cloning either in a Hard drive dock or use a SATA to USB cable and connect it to a stand alone computer to get the job done. As Al said make sure you have a good backup of the old drive before doing anything.

Like itGeeks said, I've cloned a number of OS drives and always took the source and target drives and mounted those onto open SATA ports in another Windows machine to do the cloning.  My first clone was recorded at http://homeservershow.com/updating-a-acer-1810t-laptop-with-a-crucial-m4-ssd.html but I've done it many times afterwards -- good luck.

• Like 1

Cheers joe :) I tired and for some reason it all failed for me. So I just started from fresh with clean OS and transferring 12tb back lol but I'm learning plenty from you guys cheers :)

Cheers joe :) I tired and for some reason it all failed for me. So I just started from fresh with clean OS and transferring 12tb back lol but I'm learning plenty from you guys cheers :)

Yikes! Sorry to hear it didn't work -- I appreciate you keeping us in the loop on what you end up doing.