RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP microserver complete boot failure - any ideas please?

miker64

Hi,

I have an N36L HP microserver with 4 2TB disks in Raid1 on Win7pro. I came back from holiday and coudn't get it to boot at all. I could see disk activity, but a blank screen - so have put in a new PCIe video card and can now see where its failing to boot. I have tried system restore but the strange thing is it doesn't see the C drive at all, but says my TWO OSs are on G and I... One win7 and one win7Pro. In fact the only OS was installed to C: on the first RAID1 pair which also has a Z drive. when choosing a system restore date, that shows a path of C, but then 'restores' to G or I...

I think the RAID controller may have bust at the same time as the video card (spike on the power or lightning?). I seem to remember there was a combination of keys on booting that would get to the RAID settings, but cant see it or remember it... anyone know what that is please?

Also, I have a mate that I recommended this server to and he bought it but never configured it..its just in a lock-up -  so I could get a NEW N36L off him - but I know RAIDXpert is v tricky and am not sure where the configuration info resides. Can I just put all 4 disks in the new machine and turn on, or would that format all the disks and lose my precious data??? Is it better to move the new motherboard into my machine, or same problem?

I am currently not sure if its a hardware or software problem - I  have a caddy and could take the C drive out and have a look, but what would i look for? How can I rebuild the index properly? Or do I just buy another server and drives and start again... at least I could copy over my data onto new drives without losing it! Most is backed up but not the last couple of weeks of data and photos..

Thanks for your help guys!!

regards,

Miker

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• netware5
      By netware5
      ***CRITICAL*** iLO 4 update available here. HPE requires users update to this version immediately. Potential vulnerabilities in network stack.
      VULNERABILITY SUMMARY
      A potential security vulnerability has been identified in Integrated Lights-Out 5 (iLO 5), Integrated Lights-Out 4 (iLO 4), and Integrated Lights-Out 3 (iLO 3) firmware. The vulnerability could be remotely exploited to cause memory corruption.
      HPE has released updated firmware to mitigate these vulnerabilities.
      References: CVE-2020-27337
    • ZZzzGeorge
      By ZZzzGeorge
      I have a HP MicroServer N40L:

Windows 7 in 120G SSD as boot drive;
      TWO identical 4TB disks with hardware RAID 1 set up;
      Only ONE 4TB disk can be seen in Windows 7.

It's been working perfectly for almost 8 yrs.

Recently i upgraded to Windows 10 and then strange things happened:
      1. Two 4TB disks cannot be recoganised in Win10, i have to treat them like a new disk, to re-format them, which is strange, but it's ok luckily i backed up everything;

2. After re-formated them and RAID 1 set up again, TWO 4TB disks appears in Windows 10. Isn't one supposed to be hidden?!

It seems like N40L Raid 1 is not working on Windows 10? Do I need a new raid driver? but i couldn't find one.

Is anyone using N40L with Win10 and hardware Raid 1? Please help!
      Thanks
    • MrEinstin
      By MrEinstin
      I want to rebuild my stock N54L. My preferred line of thinking is to use a PCIe X-16 card and about a 240Gb NVME M.2 SSD as my boot drive. I'm concerned about the BIOS seeing this though and being able to use it as a bootable device. Anyone tried something like this yet? I'm wanting to use all 4 drive cages for storage drives. I can't find anything in the bios regarding UEFI so I have to wonder if this is even possible or could there be a bios mod out there that would work?

My alternative setup would wind up being a regular SATA SSD and replace the DVD drive with it. I'd rather the speed of the NVME PCIe setup though if its possible.

Anyone?

• Dave
    • Dave
      By Dave
      The SDM R4 is SOLD OUT!

The SDM R4 is a bracket that facilitates mounting two additional 2.5″ drives in a HP MicroServer Gen8. There are also mounting holes for fans across the bottom to help cool RAID/SATA cards. The kit includes all the fasteners needed to install.

With optional Stackers you can run four 2.5″ drives on the SDM R4. The SDM R4 will support four 9.5MM 2.5″ drives. If you want to run four drives on the SDM R4, you need to order SSB stacking brackets listed below. One set of SSB per drive pair, four drives will require two SSB kits. Because of the size of the SDM R4, if you are going to boot your server using the internal USB port, you will need to use a USB stick that is shorter than 1″. For more information on mounting instructions look here: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5960-hp-ms-g8-25-drive-bracket-revision-history-new-rev-35-and-rev-4-info/?p=137922

The SDM R3.5 is in stock and ready to ship!

The SDM R3.5 is a bracket that facilitates mounting one additional 2.5″ drive in a HP MicroServer Gen8. The kit includes all the fasteners needed to install.
      With optional Stackers you can run two 2.5″ drives on the SDM R3.5. The SDM R3.5 will support two 9.5MM 2.5″ drives. If you want to run two drives on the SDM R3.5, you need to order SSB stacking brackets listed below. One set of SSB per drive pair. For more information on mounting instructions look here:  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5960-hp-ms-g8-25-drive-bracket-revision-history-new-rev-35-and-rev-4-info/?p=137922

SSB-9.5 for 9.5mm drives $10

Schoondoggy Stacking Brackets can be used to stack two 2.5” drives. All screws are included

SSB-7 for 7mm drives $10

SOC-MSG8-R1 kit for 9.5mm optical drives to latch it in place. Screws included $9.

The SDM R4 is SOLD OUT!