RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

What is everyone using for there home router?

Poppapete

1. TP-Link (TL-ER5120) with my old very reliable ASUS RT-N66U attached as a secondary for VPN only.

2. Untangle in Bridge Mode between Primary Router and TP-Link Switches

3. N/A

4. 30+ and growing weekly

5 TP-Link Router and TP-Link switch automatically communicate with each other like brothers (sisters) for things like Voip setup, QOS, LACP Teamimg.  RT-N66U can VPN in a breeze (especially with Merlin).

6. Primary Router is non wireless, Secondary has wireless disabled so have 2XMR1750 with ethernet back-haul for Wireless.

mattb75

1) ISP Router which can't be set to modem only mode so have firewall disabled and a VM of Sophos UTM sitting in the DMZ configured in High Availability mode with another UTM VM on a different host.

2) UTM scanning for IPS and viruses is enabled

3) why wouldn't you use it if the option it there

4) around 45 - currently setting up a guest network through pfSense to the ISP Router so I don't blow through the 50 device limit on the free UTM version

5) daily monitoring and utilisation reports from UTM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BJWTech

1) OPNsense in a KVM virtual machine. This is hosted on my AMD A10 workstation running CentOS 7 KDE. Wireless handled by repurposed AC68U.

2) IPS (no virus scanning)

3) AntiVirus/AntiMalware on endpoints

4) ~25 (2 Gen7 Microservers (one as my media server and one as my backup host), ~5 VM's doing various things, 7 phones/tablets, a PS3 , some IOT's & 2 Android TV boxes)

5) Full bandwidth use of my VPN provider. When I was using the AC68U, it could only handle about 25Mbits/sec on a good day.

Brian

Edited by BJWTech

slowjoe

1) Ubiquit Unifi - USG - Security Gateway

2) Ubiquiti Unif - US-16 POE managed switch

3) 2 Ubiquit Unifi - AP-AC Pro's

4) Ubiquit Unifi - UC-UK Cloud key

anywhere from 10 to 20 wired devices, 8 cameras, and upwards of 15 wireless devices. (I also have a HP procurve 48 port switch in the mix, but this will soon change out to the new Unifi non poe switches)

Got sick and tired of burning up wireless routers, decided to look at the commercial market. Google "Review: Ubiquiti UniFi made me realize how terrible consumer Wi-Fi gear is" on my journey to switch started with just the AP-AC pro wireless access points behind a cisco router, But I was having trouble with speed on my wireless network. so switched out the router for the Unifi security gateway, this got rid off all my bottle necks and issues on my network. 

The cloud key controller manges the network, including steering devices between the access points to prevent congestion. I also allow the controller to monitor the neighborhood to ensure that access points stay on the least congested channels (a huge apartment complex across the street) The software that runs on the cloud key is a free download for many different operating systems from Ubiquiti (so you don't need the 100 cloud key)

The cost of USG and AP-AC pro won't break the bank, probably spent the same as buying the latest and greatest residential wireless router....

nrf
1. What are you all using for your home router? - N40L running OpnSense

2. Do you have Malware/Virus scanning at the gateway? - no 

3. If not y? have not figured out how to do it not really 'built-in'. I do have endpoint protection in windows devices

4. How many devices do you have behind your router? about 26

5. What is your favorite feature on your router of choice? I am 'in control' and can change to a different one on a whim :)

Edited by nrf

nguyendot

1. What are you all using for your home router?

A. SonicWALL NSA2400

B. Check Point 3200 with all blades

C. Testing CheckPoint 730 & 1430

2. Do you have Malware/Virus scanning at the gateway?

Yes

3. N/a

4. How many devices do you have behind your router?

45ish?

Ruckus Zonedirector 1106 with r500 aps

Testing Aerohive NG

5. What is your favorite feature on your router of choice?

IPS primarily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MasterChief86

Device name?

TP-Link's Archer C-50 

Malware Protection?

Available through antivirus and antiphising

If not, why?

Not applicable

Devices behind the router?

At least 9. One laptop, one Samsung smart TV, one TV box, two consoles (XBO and PS4) and at least 4 smart phones.

Favorite feature of the router?

The fact that even wirelss gaming feels lagless most of the time (especialy over XBL). Also the fact that i can configure ivacy VPN over it and gain access to stuff outside of the US. (mostly anime and xb/psn store)