RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

What is everyone using for there home router?

itGeeks

I need to decide on a new router for my daughters new house and I am not sure what to use at this point with so many options so the questions,

1. What are you all using for your home router?

2. Do you have Malware/Virus scanning at the gateway?

3. If not y?

4. How many devices do you have behind your router?

5. What is your favorite feature on your router of choice?

I am really leaning towards using a Synology RT1900 router and disable the wireless as I will use one of the new home mesh products for that, I own several Synology NAS and love them, Everything from build quality to the user interface and I am sure there router will be no different. This router has lots of options but the lack of Antivirus/Malware scanning has me a bit stumped at the moment and making me think if I should just build a small form factor PC and continue running Untangle, Thoughts?

Thank you all in advance...

rgreenpc

I just got a Ubiquiti USG.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-routing/usg/

I have a friend who gave it to me

I have 70 devices including my iot gear

My favorite feature is the IOS app

Edited by rgreenpc

Dave

Nice timing!

RESET 5

http://mccabe.io/reset-5-synology-rt1900ac.html

I mumble through the router a bit.  Take a look here: https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/RT1900ac  for features.  It's not perfect but it is working for me.  One big caveat though, I have yet to turn on wireless.  I don't even know if it works as I'm super happy with eero right now.  Listen to the podcast, share it please, and then hit me with questions.

oj88

1. pfSense.

2. Nope (Used to be HAVP + ClamAV, but it's currently broken in pfSense, for whatever reason)

3. All Windows machines have endpoint protection (ESET Smart Security)

4. Around 60-70

5. Customizations!

I used Untangle NG Complete for a couple of months but decided to go back to pfSense for now. For one, UT has a plain vanilla DHCP server. I needed to have static mappings that points to a different gateway (to a VPN router to circumvent geo-locked internet services). This was a breeze to do in pfSense.... impossible in UT.

Joe_Miner

I need to decide on a new router for my daughters new house and I am not sure what to use at this point with so many options so the questions,

1. What are you all using for your home router?

2. Do you have Malware/Virus scanning at the gateway?

3. If not y?

4. How many devices do you have behind your router?

5. What is your favorite feature on your router of choice?

I am really leaning towards using a Synology RT1900 router and disable the wireless as I will use one of the new home mesh products for that, I own several Synology NAS and love them, Everything from build quality to the user interface and I am sure there router will be no different. This router has lots of options but the lack of Antivirus/Malware scanning has me a bit stumped at the moment and making me think if I should just build a small form factor PC and continue running Untangle, Thoughts?

Thank you all in advance...

1. D-Link AC3200 Ultra Wi-Fi Router with Motorola MB7420 Cable Modem

2. No

3. Don't see the need in my environment

4. Currently only 5 -- in past has been over 30 -- number will continue to increase as I unpack :) 

5. Brain dead simple to set up and forget.  Moved from Illinois to Ohio by simply unplugging and plugging back in.  Very wide coverage throughout house and yard.

YMMV

jmwills

ASUS  RT-N66U

No

Not needed (read...no teenagers in the house)

Approximately 40 with the vast majority being virtual servers

The VPN is drop dead simple to setup

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

1. Sophos UTM on ... well, it's in my signature. With a Sophos AP55C for Wireless AC. 
  2. Yes. For pretty much everything. Dual scanning enabled (Avira and Sophos scanning engines)
  3. N/A
  4. ~40.  That's including VM, and cameras and the like. 

TLN

Mikrotik.

No. Have IPS at my job.

For home I don't care.

5-6 mobile devices, 2-3 Laptops + 1 server(10-20VM)

It's mighty device. I'm not using all functions though.  Haven't logged in for months actually.

• Like 1

JROrtiz

1. Netgear Nighthawk R7000 running DD-WRT

2. Built-in SPI firewall and VPN proxy

3. Use it because it's built-in but otherwise it's not a real concern for me

4. 30-50 at any given time

5. Hardware-wise it's still high-end even though it's a few years old. Software-wise, love the flexibility and customization of DD-WRT

Al_Borges

Just replaced a ASUS RT65U that decided that 4 years on this earth was long  enough.    Is it just me or do most home routers last only 4 years or so before the wireless starts getting intermittent ?

Question 1

I replaced it with a Linksys WRT AC1900AC

Typically,  I look at small netbuilder.com and try to get a router listed in the Top 5  in their rankings.   I wanted an AC router that has some horsepower.   Our household relies on wireless quite a bit more than we did 4 years ago and we stream constantly. 

Question 2

No I do not - there is an "app" available.   I have all my "appliances"  {roku's  , insteon hub phones  etc)  on a separate network.  The rest of my PC's , Laptops and tablets are on their own network and have anti-malware bytes and defender

Question 3

I was surprised to see 21 devices behind the router -  although I think that only 4 or 5 are really in use at any given time

Question 4

I really like the ease of setting the router up -   even setting up multiple networks, it only took about a half an hour to get the router setup and running.

I also like that it uses and supports the open source DD-WRT firmware .       I had netgear router some time back that they stopped supporting and left it without critical updates.

Even linksys supplies instructions on replacing the firmware with the open source version. 

There is a limited "app" store for this unit -  but what I want from a router is security and stability -   so I am leery of doing anything other than locking it down