RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SNB Mesh comparison

schoondoggy

We have been needing this comparison.  Especially with a wireless test.  Interesting to see how they test mesh as they used to throw the AP in an isolation chamber.  I don't think that will work with this type of product category.

I have speed tests for eero, Luma, OM, and an R7000 router. Just need to find time to actually compile all of the numbers and share them here. Orbi coming soon as well.

Nice article -- as someone who is planning a mesh-solution for the home I'm moving into in November, this was very timely!

All the solutions seemed to offer varying levels of improvement over having just one WiFi router in the home.  I was surprised how differently they handled one-hop and two-hop connections though.  I haven't yet completely mapped out the ethernet in my house yet, but I'm hoping I can have hardwired connections to all 3 devices I'm planning for -- this would mean no hops and hopefully a seamless experience.

Post meetup (based on Dave's slightly less scientific experience) I was leaning Eero over Luma & Amplifi.  This article strengthens that lean.

• Like 1

@BSR,

Congrats on the new home. Wireless networking is certainly exciting times. My daughter also is in the process of closing on her first house and dad is responsible for all the tech. I just want to say don't rule out Netgear Orbi, This looks very promising but only time will tell if it stand up to its claim as being 2-10 times faster then all the other products now out. One claimed reason for the better speed is Orbi has a dedicated 1.7 Gbps 5GHz radio for the communication to the nodes. Netgear states the lack of Ethernet backhaul is because it would slowdown the link to the nodes so they would only run @1 Gbps, The logic makes sense but we will have to see. I personally have Orbi on the top of my list at the moment because it could very well blow away the performance of others. I would say just wait a bit longer for the reviews of Orbi to come in from the likes of SNB and users.

One thing I want to point out is it seems true to Netgear claim that Orbi is the worlds first "Tri-Band" router and that could very well be what makes Orbi be the product to beat.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33022-mesh-mashup-redux-netgear-s-orbi-checks-in

Well, here's an update with some very encouraging data about Orbi.  itGeeks, I've had less than stellar experiences with Netgear routers in the past, so when you mentioned Orbi, my first inclination was to not be so enthusiastic.

SNB's comparison may change that -- Tim says he's switching out the Eero he has in his house for the Orbi for a long-term test.  This will be great for me as the Eero is currently my first choice and I'm sure he will find out quickly if Orbi is the one to beat or if it will have issues in real-world use.

The new house situation turned out to be mixed.  It has CAT-5 running to several spots, but unfortunately only one run up to the 2nd floor and they daisy-chained it to several rooms (because they were wiring for phones).  I may have to put a couple of switches in place, but the Orbi may work just as well or better than the wiring....will have to see how it goes once I get internet into the house in November.

@BSR

Thanks for the update, You beat me to the post about the review from SNB. This was the review I was waiting for before I decided to try Orbi for my daughters new house, It sure does look like Eero, Luma, AMPLIFI needs to step aside because there is a new Sheriff in town :) Tim gives Orbi a heck of an endorsement by saying "the Orbi puts the so called mesh devices to shame WiFi wise in all tests

Tim gives it a big thumbs up" 

• 1 month later...

I went Orbi - received it Tuesday night and set it up yesterday.  I was impressed that the router knew it was behind another router, but was still able to function and could download a firmware update.  The satellite wasn't happy and wouldn't update on it's own.  Once I connected to the router via cable and manually updated the firmware on the satellite, it started working better.  It's now in AP mode and seems to be working perfectly (although my family moving in next week will be the real-world test).  I have the 2nd satellite on order, so it should be here in a couple days.

Then I got home and saw this: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/

Between the Wirecutter and SmallNetBuilder I'm feeling confident this was the right choice.