RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 106, What do you think ?

diehard

News on Windows Home Server, a recap of the St. Louis meetup, and an alternative to mControl in the forums. It’s the Home Server Show, Episode 106. There is no shortage of news for this show and we also go over the video podcast of the St. Louis meetup. Check the home page of homeservershow.com for the video of the meetup. Lastly, we go over mControl again for Dave’s sake with Timothy Daleo. Check the forums for a potential alternative to mControl that is in the works.

So,what do you think about this weeks podcast ?

Great show as always. Got into home automation for the second time recently and I am having fun with it. Not sure who that other guy on the show was, some Tim guy, but he did a great job.

Definitely a great show and I would love both more on home automation and from the developer community on some alternatives to mcontrol. BYOB guys here's another show topic for you too.

I was thinking of jumping in with mcontrol a while ago but I had heard back then that development was slow and not much support from the developer for quite some time.

Maybe you guys could coax him on the show and rekindle his support for WHS by showing that there's a big interest in the community. I'm not crazy about the entry price but I'm more than happy to pay for a quality product as long as it's supported and updated. On the flip side if I $120+ and found the product was not being updated/maintained I'd be more than a little pissed off. Sorry Tim but I don't agree with you on the point of upgrades. I think you said that the developer doesn't owe the consumer any updates at this point, or something along those lines. I feel as a consumer that product development should be dynamic not static. If your users/customers are asking for knew features you need to react to that, especially if you are charging for your product. Sometimes from free if they are small. Sometimes for additional cost if it's a big upgrade.