RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Messed Drive its supposed to boot

ziki

N40L modified BIOS everything working smooth up until now. I hava a 2.5" as boot drive, and 3x 3.5" for storage. Yesterday i found an old Acronis Image CD and decided to install it on the WHS2011 that i'm running. When prompted to reboot i did so. Now i'm on an endless loop of reboots, where up until it gets to thw win logo it resets. * I dont even see the win logo, just the loading bar beneath appears briefly, and computer starts again. I run the Windows recovery option briefly, i did not have any previous restore points to recover from, but somehow i saw it see Drive G: as my boot drive. How did that get to happen, and how do i reset c as my boot drive. I checked BIOS it still sees the 2.5 as 1st priority drive in the sequence.

N40L modified BIOS everything working smooth up until now. I hava a 2.5" as boot drive, and 3x 3.5" for storage. Yesterday i found an old Acronis Image CD and decided to install it on the WHS2011 that i'm running. When prompted to reboot i did so. Now i'm on an endless loop of reboots, where up until it gets to thw win logo it resets. * I dont even see the win logo, just the loading bar beneath appears briefly, and computer starts again. I run the Windows recovery option briefly, i did not have any previous restore points to recover from, but somehow i saw it see Drive G: as my boot drive. How did that get to happen, and how do i reset c as my boot drive. I checked BIOS it still sees the 2.5 as 1st priority drive in the sequence.

You list that you have a 2.5" Boot drive and 3X3.5" Data drives. How did you install that program from CD? Assume you have a CD ROM Drive in there.

Was the CD ROM Drive installed on the system before you installed the program?

If you see it even attempting to boot windows, then the bootloader is working. If it fails after that, then the problem lies with Windows. I would try booting from recovery and trying the following;

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh148189.aspx?tduid=%28258db3e577a9100c8030ceeb7c59f87a%29%28256380%29%282459594%29%28TnL5HPStwNw-8Z62His7KiGwDG8saCna6w%29%28%29

Good luck!

Brian

I dont have a cdrom. I copied the .exe to an external drive and run it from there. I suspect it may have set that external drive as primary that is not even on the system now.

That guide shows how to restore to an existing image, which i mentioned i do not have. How can i repair it using that method.

I dont have a cdrom. I copied the .exe to an external drive and run it from there. I suspect it may have set that external drive as primary that is not even on the system now.

That guide shows how to restore to an existing image, which i mentioned i do not have. How can i repair it using that method.

You could try this;

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/command-prompt-fix-issues-your-boot-records

Good Luck!

Brian

edit: grammar

Edited by BJWTech

The mess remains the same

i did the bootrec.exe /fixmbr. and then bootrec.exe /fixboot

The /RebuildBcd and /ScanOS does not find windows installation

bootrec6.png

I then give the final command bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force

it says it writes the bootcode, so i reboot but still nothing happens

EDIT: Ok so i realised what has happened, dont know why Acronis f'ed this up so badly.

My 2.5 drive was split in 2 partitions.

C: Was the widnows installation and

D: the Server folders partition and then the 3 drives which were

E:/F:/G:

Now it seems the storage have become C:D:E: and my 2.5 moved up to G: and H:

So Windows is looking for my C: which now is G:

I run diskpart set partition G: as active and now i get the bootmger is missing error

And now i dont even get the recovery console option to run command from there and perform the BCD.

I really dont have time to deal with this. I just got punkd by Windows and Acronis

Edited by ziki