RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Plex Intergrating With Amazon Cloud Drive

awraynor

Pretty interesting there is now official integration. Well, at least on the part of Plex anyway. 

Remember, wasn't  massive media libraries the reason given for the death of unlimited One Drive.

Would be great to have an extra copy of your media. For me the obvious problem is my poor

upload speeds. 

Might give this a limited trial run.

https://www.plex.tv/blog/book-plex-volume-3-plex-cloud/?utm_source=Plex&utm_medium=email&utm_content=plex_cloud_button&utm_campaign=Plex+Cloud

Well,  it's not all calm waters. 

Amazon Cloud Drive indexes and sorts your data, so there is some post processing that is being done. 

If your files match copyrighted material, Amazon is well within their rights to remove the content (and even flag/close your account).  

Somehow, I don't think people are going to be happy when their entire library disappears due to copyright violations.....

Also, you completely lose out on newer features such as DVR support, of camera sync.

I've done a lot of traveling especially recently and the biggest bugaboo for "cloud" storage of your media is the god awful wifi  you typically experience at Airports/ Starbucks/ Hotel rooms

barely good enough in many cases to download a file from onedrive or download/stream a podcast.

Even LTE is a stuttering mess at times -  while enormously expensive.

why go thru all this when a $20 micro SD card can hold  more media than you can consume even for a long trip

• Like 1

why go thru all this when a $20 micro SD card can hold  more media than you can consume even for a long trip

Make that 200GB and that's what's in my phone. 

Also, that's why I like Emby.  The media has a "make available offline" option. Re-encodes the files and stores it on the phone's storage.

Wonder how long it will take to upload 7T of media... :D  I am glad they continue to expand plex as that is what makes the product great, however I am not seeing this feature as a must have.  If anyone tries it please post.

• Like 2

Well, seeing as I've seen reports of 400-800mbps upload (yes, really).... it depends on what your connection speed is. :)

But it really begs the question, if you're going to use Plex Cloud, why not use netflix/hulu/prime video/etc. 

Well,  it's not all calm waters. 

Amazon Cloud Drive indexes and sorts your data, so there is some post processing that is being done. 

If your files match copyrighted material, Amazon is well within their rights to remove the content (and even flag/close your account).  

Somehow, I don't think people are going to be happy when their entire library disappears due to copyright violations.....

Also, you completely lose out on newer features such as DVR support, of camera sync.

So if you encrypt your data for privacy would that make it unusable for playback on a remote device via Plex without that device employing the same decryption program? 

I guess Boxcryptor or the like would be an example?

So if you encrypt your data for privacy would that make it unusable for playback on a remote device via Plex without that device employing the same decryption program? 

I guess Boxcryptor or the like would be an example?

Depends on how it's encrypted. 

We (Covecube) actually have issues with that on ACD and other providers... the hashes match known files, or it reads the beginning to match mime types.  And it causes issues.   We had to append a null character to the beginning of each file to prevent this indexing to occur.

So unless Plex is doing the same thing or similar... it may cause issues for random files.

Depends on how it's encrypted. 

We (Covecube) actually have issues with that on ACD and other providers... the hashes match known files, or it reads the beginning to match mime types.  And it causes issues.   We had to append a null character to the beginning of each file to prevent this indexing to occur.

So unless Plex is doing the same thing or similar... it may cause issues for random files.

I can surely go to your support if needed, but...

I already have some data in ACD. So if I install Cloud Drive will it encrypt what's already there? At the moment I"m syncing from my

QNAP to ACD so Cloud Drive obviously will not work there. I could install it on my Windows Box if it can do after the upload encryption.

As mentioned before will I need a copy on each device I want to stream Plex to so the encrypted data can be read? I'm such a fan of

DrivePool if it will work I would love to give Cloud Drive a try.

Make that 200GB and that's what's in my phone. 

Also, that's why I like Emby.  The media has a "make available offline" option. Re-encodes the files and stores it on the phone's storage.

That is a nice feature, Plex has the same thing but it's called Sync. The new Plex Cloud is an interesting option for those that don't want to run there own server I suppose but as you say it sure will be interesting to see how all the copyright stuff goes, Maybe Plex has an agreement with Amazon for this type of service, I guess only time will tell. Options are always good in any case.