RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
usacomp2k3

Hardware VPN tunnel

tbowland

hardware solutions require a static IP

You're so right. If you are going to rely on it being connected you must have a static IP. Some service suppliers renew IP very infrequently.....I've known them to stay the same for 6 months but they can change at anytime and often.

Because I want mine up 24/7 I use DYNDNS's free service "DYNDNS Free" . With a free account it must be used at minimum every 30 days or it will be canceled. For only 15 bucks a year they have the "DYNDNS Pro" account that wont cancel itself.

Works great for me.

tbowland

pcdoc

Actually with some creative port forwarding you might be able to use you existing xxxxx.homeserver.com site. I use that for a bunch of stuff as it does a similar job to dyndns in that it provides a path. Never tried on VPN but it should work?

usacomp2k3

I use no-ip for my dynamic DNS (along with the *.homeserver.com domain.

pcdoc

If that is the case, can you not setup the VPN using existing routers (assuming they support VPN) and not any hardware?

usacomp2k3

The only VPN support I have on the routers is pass-through. Not server/client. I'll do some more research there though. Could be a good solution.

pcdoc

I would like to do the same with my daughter so let me know what you find out and I will do likewise.

tbowland

I would like to do the same with my daughter so let me know what you find out and I will do likewise.

Love the idea of using the xxx.homeserver.com address. Not sure how that would work though.

Also remember if you are going to a specific computer<>computer rather then network<>network you can just use the VPN passthrough feature that most routers have and go directly through to a computer running windows software VPN.

But then I'm sure you have it worked out by now.

tbowland