RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
usacomp2k3

Hardware VPN tunnel

usacomp2k3

I'm looking for something that I don't even know if exists. Basically I want to be able to connect a box in my network (and forward a port to it) and then plug a companion device into another network (in this case my parents) and have those 2 devices create a permanent VPN tunnel. Does such a product exist?

Thanks,

Edited by usacomp2k3

Dave

Would using a VPN router on each side not work? Without knowing the hardware I'm not sure if you can access list protect the rest of your network from the other side of the VPN since it's local address would be on the same subnet.

Otherwise, I wonder if you could map the appropriate ports to a VPN router inside your external internet router. Then the VPN would terminate there and the other side of that router would be the box/pc you wanted to allow access to. Don't know if that would work or not.

Can you use a software solution? Hamachi or OpenVPN?

usacomp2k3

What I'm envisioning would be a solution that would give full access 24/7 between the 2 networks.

pcdoc

I am not a hundred percent sure but you might be able to do that using a PC configured with "untangle" on each end. They have a plug in called OpenVPN that might do the trick.

http://www.untangle.com/openvpn

usacomp2k3

I guess a software solution would work as a 2nd choice. I'd really like a hardware solution though. I guess there's just not a big market for it.

tbowland

I guess a software solution would work as a 2nd choice. I'd really like a hardware solution though. I guess there's just not a big market for it.

I've use D-link VPN routers for years to VPN to head office 3000 miles away.

They work flawlessly.

I can honestly say that I don't know of a time that the connection went down that wasn't caused by a connection interuption on one end or the other. Problems never seemed to be the VPN hardware. As a matter of fact reconnecting was almost always automatic.

I really think of the head offices network as the same network.

Pick a router set with all the features you need and then be sure it has an integrated VPN Server, a hardware VPN engine and can support the protocols you want to use (IPSec, PPTP, L2TP).

With the same hardware on either end it is a no brained. The DIR-130 is great but if you are going to use the ethernet ports on the back for your LAN it is only 100BT.

Have Fun

tbowland

usacomp2k3

I see one like the DIR-330 that has "VPN Security: IPSec Site-to-Site/Roaming User PPTP/L2TP Server/Client"

I guess that works. Hmmm.

whsvet

It would be a bit more work, but you can also use the dd-WRT firmware in 2 commercial routers. They have builds they call "Mega" and/or "VPN" that contain the OpenVPN service. Set up one as the server and the other as the client over a bridged connection, and all the computers can share network resourses. Or you can create an encrypted tunnel between the 2. The setup/configuration takes some time and searching through the dd-WRT and OpenVPN wikis and forums. The advantage to this setup is that the vpn endpoint is the first device that faces the Internet. Therefore, it is the only device that has to remain powered on. (You can use wake on lan to wake up remote computers as needed.) And no other ports are forwarded. I use the dd-WRT "mega" package in a Linksys wrt600N as my vpn server.

Another option would be to use the free Astaro Security Gateway software in two small Atom-based devices with 2 NICs each as the gateways/routers on each end. I have no experience with this setup, but it sounds like it should work. This would be a "heavyweight" solution!

jmwills

To me, I think the SOHO router with VPN capability built in would be the best option. You could then just map drives across the tunnel and connect that way. Beware, VPN's do have a fair amount of overhead because of the encryption. Your first option would be an onsite transfer of the data between devices then perform incremental changes.

mrossco

My efforts to do something similar have been stopped short because most hardware solutions require a static IP on one side of the tunnel. If you come up with something that works for you, let us know.